Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #1
Tobias
Tobias began at the beginning.

Device: none
EPUBCheck finds errors with footnotes

EPUBCheck from W3C is throwing a lot of errors on a converted .docx to epub 2 file:

Referring to a footnote:
Code:
<a role="doc-noteref"
Code:
ERROR(RSC-005): book.epub/index_split_051.html(58,494): Validierungsfehler: Attribut "role" ist an diesem Element nicht erlaubt. Erlaubt ist nur das Attribut "accesskey", "charset", "coords", "dir", "hreflang", "lang", "rel", "rev", "shape", "style", "tabindex", "target", "type" oder "xml:lang"
I am surprised that the conversion tool seems to produce invalid epub2 xhtml?

Is this something that I should care about and correct or does it not matter?
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps that 'role' is an ePub3 element has something to do with the error. For your own use, simply removing the role="whatever"s will work.

Alternatively, have calibre generate ePub3 files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...e-is-not-valid
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:04 AM   #4
Tobias

I think @kovidgoyal 's reply hits it well, thank you!

From the link:

Quote:
The EPUB I produced with calibre is not valid?

calibre does not guarantee that an EPUB produced by it is valid. The only guarantee it makes is that if you feed it valid XHTML 1.1 + CSS 2.1 it will output a valid EPUB. calibre tries hard to ensure that EPUBs it produces actually work as intended on a wide variety of devices, a goal that is incompatible with producing valid EPUBs, and one that is far more important to the vast majority of its users. If you need a tool that always produces valid EPUBs, calibre is not for you. This means, that if you want to send a calibre produced EPUB to an online store that uses an EPUB validity checker, you have to make sure that the EPUB is valid yourself, calibre will not do it for you – in other words you must feed calibre valid XHTML + CSS as the input documents.
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #5
Tobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For your own use, simply removing the role="whatever"s will work.
I just got feedback from a publisher who told me to make sure the file is 100% valid, because otherwise there can be error messages from shops during distribution.
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #6
Tobias

I brought this into the bug tracker. It does not sit right with me that the role attribute is not removed, but also not intentionally added. Unfortunately @kovidgoyal is very quick with shutting down conversations.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2072645
Old Today, 08:36 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I brought this into the bug tracker. It does not sit right with me that the role attribute is not removed, but also not intentionally added. Unfortunately @kovidgoyal is very quick with shutting down conversations.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2072645
You DO NOT have to use HIS FREE SOFTWARE.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Over the past decade or so I've prepared about a dozen books for publication working with several authors. At some point on nearly every single one I had to study up on some "error" thrown by some checking software, and go into the code to fix it. It is a moving target. A file Amazon took a month ago may not pass tomorrow. And it rarely makes any sense.

If you want to publish, just running a conversion will rarely be enough. You have to be willing to get into the code, learn the new glitch-of-the-day, and keep smiling. Or snarling. But that's the way it is.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Do you really think I haven't had this conversation before, half a dozen times. With DOCX input it started years ago, with the start attribute on <ol> tags, which also epubcheck stupidly complains about. Then too people were trying to get me to dumb down calibre's output to suit epubcheck, I refused for the same reasons.

The *only* valid reason for me to dumb down calibre's output is if that output causes issues with a significant fraction of real world reading software. epubcheck simply isn't a reason I will ever do that. As I said in the FAQ, if this is a problem for you, then calibre is not the software for you.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote