Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2024, 08:56 PM   #31
dmalinovsky
Connoisseur
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be nice if Kobo created an 8" Reader with the new Gallery 3. That's one I might buy as it should not be so dark and the colors will be much better and no speckles.
They just released two color devices, and they didn’t have too frequent releases before, so it’s unlikely. Onyx and Pocketbook experimented with the previous version of Gallery 3 before, after rejecting it. So maybe they’ll finish the experiment this time. Some people even speculate about color Kindle… https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...re-likely-now/
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 07:17 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I can tell from Remarkable's web page and some discussions elsewhere, the current Remarkable firmware renders ePub directly without the conversion to PDF that the original Remarkable firmware required. OTOH, I don't own a Remarkable and have exactly one acquaintance who does so have not tested this hands on. That the rendering is not very good is a different issue.
FWIW, from the Pro website:

Quote:
Document support

PDF, EPUB (importing)
PDF, PNG, SVG (exporting)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 07:26 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
They just released two color devices, and they didn’t have too frequent releases before, so it’s unlikely. Onyx and Pocketbook experimented with the previous version of Gallery 3 before, after rejecting it. So maybe they’ll finish the experiment this time. Some people even speculate about color Kindle… https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...re-likely-now/
If Amazon used Gallery 3, I think it would sell very well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 12:36 PM   #34
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
Quote:
Some people even speculate about color Kindle…
People will speculate about everything, especially these days with the internet, social media and so on. Besides I never understood what attracted people towards Amazon's Kindle…or Remarkable, which seems to pursue another subscription model. I guess that's the reason why they did not include a SD-card slot. 64 GB is ludicrous small. Of course they want to sell place on their computers (aka cloud service).
Not having at least 300 dpi/ppi in 2024 is another no go. Besides the colours seem to look very different when you export your drawings to a PDF:

"There's a larger color problem, and you can see it in the screenshots above where I made my first-ever e-ink color drawing — a fanciful anatomy of a human heart — using the Marker's brush and pen settings. What you're drawing on the screen is subtle, like pastel colors. But when you send the image (you can email your ReMarkable output with or without turning your handwriting into text), the PDF will show far more intense, almost cartoonish primary colors."
https://mashable.com/review/remarkable-paper-pro

For what the Paper Pro offers, it is way overpriced.

The only thing I like is the form factor. The concept of partial refreshing the screen to get rid of ghosting is interesting. Nevertheless, I find the ghosting and refresh issue with e-ink annoying. I really prefer matte LCDs these days like TCL NXTPAPER (especially for a smart phones), the Huawei MatePad 11,5 S or Lenovo Tab P12. Yes, I am crazy, had too much money to spend and bought all of these.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #35
dmalinovsky
Connoisseur
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
Besides I never understood what attracted people towards Amazon's Kindle…or Remarkable, which seems to pursue another subscription model.
I'm not interested in Remarkable or any other eNote device, but this release gives hope for color E Ink future, which I'm a big fan.

Besides, if Amazon releases a color Kindle, many other companies may follow the suit, moving this tech forward (hopefully).
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 12:52 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
There was one site claiming the usual nameless but "informed" source that an 8" colour ereader with the Gallery 2024 screen and the Eink/HiMax T2000 ASIC was going to be announced before the end of the year. Given the stated octacore CPU, I suspect this was going to be an Android device.

OTOH, there are also those persistent items that Amazon is going to release a colour Kindle. The only oddity in most of those claims is the use of a MediaTek chipset as if that was new which seems is a bit odd since the Paperwhite 5, Kindle 11th gen and Scribe all used MediaTek CPUs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2024, 06:23 PM   #37
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
So, to buy the new Remarkable in the UK with the 'ordinary' pen and type folio would cost £739 (add another £40 for the pen with a built-in eraser). That price is absolutely nuts! Not in a million years.

The videos linked above are also a bit too 'this is the best thing ever' for my tastes. I'd be much more interested in a review from someone who spent their own money on one than the usual suspects touting the wonderful freebies.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 04:59 PM   #38
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2

Voja has posted his first impressions video now, which is, as usual, more in depth than most people's full reviews.

RM appears to have achieved amazing results in making Gallery 3 usable for the first time. There are some caveats with the way the screen refreshes and the way writing in colour is handled, but overall it blows Kaleido 3 out of the water. The side-by-side comparisons with the NA3C are night and day. I hope this means ACEP will be getting some real development attention in the future.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #39
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Thank you for sharing this. I am a bit disappointed at the darkness of the Gallery screen with the front light off; it doesn’t seem much better than Kaleido 3, which is a bit unfortunate as it is often quoted as one of the main drawbacks of that technology.

This being said, the refresh speed is incredible, much faster than what a remember form a review of the Bigme device with a Gallery screen. That was a show stopper for me at the time, but now if I didn’t already have way too many e-readers I’d be really tempted!

At any rate I think it really does show that ACeP is a perfectly viable technology for e-readers and not only for advertising panels and the like.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #40
Fritomaster
Enthusiast
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EGegege
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I am a bit disappointed at the darkness of the Gallery screen with the front light off; it doesn’t seem much better than Kaleido 3, which is a bit unfortunate as it is often quoted as one of the main drawbacks of that technology.

This being said, the refresh speed is incredible, much faster than what a remember form a review of the Bigme device with a Gallery screen. That was a show stopper for me at the time, but now if I didn’t already have way too many e-readers I’d be really tempted!

At any rate I think it really does show that ACeP is a perfectly viable technology for e-readers and not only for advertising panels and the like.
It looks faster than my inkpad pocket 3 and I was super happy with it.

I ordered the RM pro as an upgrade, I'm hoping the blue-blacks arn't too distracting and the size increase to resolution. But looks promising.

I'm also an artist and didn't really have any desire to draw on it. But I've seen some great drawings and many people say it's very fun to sketch on.

Will see here next week!

https://preview.redd.it/more-remarka...=webp&d07fbb5c
Fritomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #41
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I tried some (10"?) Remarkable at a MediaMarkt.
Ok, demo units are usually beat to death.
But I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity of the pen.
I'm always worried about scratching the screen anyway.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
'drawback'. Is this only because it uses more energy?

That's never been much of a concern for me since energy usage still compares very favorably with backlit tablets. I've never used any front-lit eReader with light level turned to zero. A little more energy consumption for color is a tradeoff I am comfortable with. And I think we will be waiting a long time for a color display that looks good with front light turned off.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote