Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This should take care of it:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...d9760f8d60a963

Let me know how it goes for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #77
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
yes, that fixed it
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #78
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, Kovid

Thanks for the new TTS engine. I was having the same problems as @Comfy.n. Now they are fixed.

I noticed another glitch: every other sentence, the last word is not being highlighted. I couldn't find a pattern. Also the Piper voices are not available in my Content Server (using Chrome). I can see Chrome voices and Windows, but not Piper.

Now, two questions:

1) I don't see how I can manage Piper voices data. I mean, how can I delete a voice, if I don't like it?
2) This is not something new, but I just remembered it. Would be possible to have an option to automatically choose the TTS language based on the <dc:language> element for EPUBs (and the equivalent for other formats)?
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #79
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The content server cant use piper, it can only use whatever voices are available on the device the browser is running on. Piper is *very* CPU intensive I don't think its appropriate to expose it via the server as doing so could lead to the server being DOSed very easily. Just two people using it at the same time would saturate the CPU of most servers.

If a sentence is too long it is split up that is probably the cause of your last word not being selected, this is done so that audio starts playing asap.

1) There is no UI for it, but you can just go in to the calibre cache directory and delete the piper folder or the voice .onnx files inside it, they have proper filenames.

2) The voice is chosen based on calibre UI language not book language. I'm not really a fan of having the voice changed automatically based on book language, but maybe an option for it. SOmeday if I am bored, or a patch is welcome.
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #80
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Piper is *very* CPU intensive I don't think its appropriate to expose it via the server as doing so could lead to the server being DOSed very easily. Just two people using it at the same time would saturate the CPU of most servers.
I was monitoring the CPU activity and that's what I saw: there is a peak in CPU usage during about 10-20 seconds (in my case, piper.exe was using 50% of my CPU), then it drops to 0% and stays there. Anytime you click on a new paragraph, pause, or make any configuration change, the peak happens again, but after that it always seat at 0%. Is that expected or maybe the peak repeat itself after sometime (something related to the cache size)?

Quote:
If a sentence is too long it is split up that is probably the cause of your last word not being selected, this is done so that audio starts playing asap.
The weird part is that it is always the last word, never more. It happens even with quite small sentences (10 words or so).

Quote:
1) There is no UI for it, but you can just go in to the calibre cache directory and delete the piper folder or the voice .onnx files inside it, they have proper filenames.
I think it would be good if there was a button to clear a downloaded voice.

Quote:
2) The voice is chosen based on calibre UI language not book language. I'm not really a fan of having the voice changed automatically based on book language, but maybe an option for it. SOmeday if I am bored, or a patch is welcome.
Yes, an option on the dropdown menu would be the best approach, so it is not forced on anyone. I hope you get bored soon enough.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #81
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

CPU usage will spike when speech starts, that is when the text is being synthesized into audio, the synthesis happens faster than the actual speech (otherwise you would get pauses after every sentence), so once all the text for the current file is synthesized it will idle again.

I cannot reproduce the last word not being highlighted from sentences. If its happening on a particular book open a bug report and attach the book.

Added a button to download/remove voices: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...1aacbba0a7f8e0

Last edited by kovidgoyal; Yesterday at 11:45 PM.