Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2024, 06:12 PM   #3136
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you tried asking your accessible libraries to purchase the book? My local library is pretty good about doing so depending on their budget space.
I wouldn't. This would be a trivial purchase and not worth wasting resources. My rant was regarding the absolutely ridiculous price for it. And just to be clear, I think publishers are entitled to charge whatever the market will bear, but I can't imagine they're selling any books at all at this price.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 03:25 PM   #3137
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Started reading Crimson Tide, but am a little bit confused about the source of the story.
The cover states...

A novel by RICHARD P. HENRICK
Based on the screenplay by MICHAEL SCHIFFER
from a story by RICHARD P. HENRICK and MICHAEL SCHIFFER

I am finding the source of this confusing. It is a story (novel?) by two authors that turned it into a movie screenplay, then that screenplay was turned into a novel? What happened to the original story?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 03:48 PM   #3138
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Started reading Crimson Tide, but am a little bit confused about the source of the story.
The cover states...

I am finding the source of this confusing. It is a story (novel?) by two authors that turned it into a movie screenplay, then that screenplay was turned into a novel? What happened to the original story?
Possibly similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The original was a 1948 short story was The Sentinel (also Sentinel of Eternity), the screenplay was written by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke and the novel is credited to Arthur C. Clarke though Stanley Kubrick is stated to have had quite a bit of input.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 03:57 PM   #3139
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
For another example, there's a short story by Larry Niven called The Soft Weapon. Star Trek: The Animated Series adapted it (mostly just swapping out the characters) for the episode The Slaver Weapon. Then Alan Dean Foster went and wrote a novelization of the episode.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 04:19 PM   #3140
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The cover states...

That is a novelization my friend. A novel based on a screenplay. So Henrick and Schiffer came up with the concept together (story by), then Schiffer wrote the screenplay (likely with input from Henrick, but there are complicated rules for credits in Hollywood) and then Henrick fleshed it out into a novel for a few bucks extra.

I have a real soft spot for them (in fact, I believe I have a digital scan of Crimson Tide on my Kobo).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 06:16 PM   #3141
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Possibly similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The original was a 1948 short story was The Sentinel (also Sentinel of Eternity), the screenplay was written by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke and the novel is credited to Arthur C. Clarke though Stanley Kubrick is stated to have had quite a bit of input.
Oh, yeah, I forgot 2001 was a novelisation. I also have The Fifth Element and also Capricorn One, which I was surprised was a screenplay novelisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For another example, there's a short story by Larry Niven called The Soft Weapon. Star Trek: The Animated Series adapted it (mostly just swapping out the characters) for the episode The Slaver Weapon. Then Alan Dean Foster went and wrote a novelization of the episode.
I am not aware of that particular novel, but have read elsewhere that a few Star Trek stories have been lifted from other sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is a novelization my friend. A novel based on a screenplay. So Henrick and Schiffer came up with the concept together (story by), then Schiffer wrote the screenplay (likely with input from Henrick, but there are complicated rules for credits in Hollywood) and then Henrick fleshed it out into a novel for a few bucks extra.

I have a real soft spot for them (in fact, I believe I have a digital scan of Crimson Tide on my Kobo).
Yea, it is a bit of a convoluted way of giving credit.
I didn't immediately realise it was a novelisation of a movie. The movie was broadcast on Channel 9 last week so decided to read the novel first which I had in my unread box, (along with a heap of Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators and a heap of Tom Clancy and Stephen King). The book looks so new, I don't think I ever got around to reading it. Probably a case of liking the movie, so bought the book.
I've recreated the cover if anybody wants it for their library.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 08:03 PM   #3142
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I am not aware of that particular novel, but have read elsewhere that a few Star Trek stories have been lifted from other sources.
Arena, for example, though that's kind of a weird example - Gene L. Coon thought that the teleplay he came up with was original, but then it was discovered to have similarities with a story of the same name by Frederic Brown. Whether by coincidence or subconscious inspiration, Brown ended up getting screen credit for the story.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-24-2024 at 08:09 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 08:24 PM   #3143
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Now of course if we're talking about novelization we have to include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that was initially a radio series, before becoming a series of books.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 01:04 AM   #3144
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Now of course if we're talking about novelization we have to include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that was initially a radio series, before becoming a series of books.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
I remember the radio show being broadcast late on Sunday evenings here, absolutely loved it, bought the books as soon as the came out.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 02:18 AM   #3145
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I remember the radio show being broadcast late on Sunday evenings here, absolutely loved it, bought the books as soon as the came out.
Got the radio script book, got the books, got the LPs, still got the theatre programme (I now work up the road from the theatre on the rare occasions I go into the office), got the DVD of the BBC TV series, got the CDs, got the DVD of the film.

Why yes, I'm a fangrrl! Why do you ask? Were you sitting next to me in the cinema as I was mouthing the dialogue 30 seconds ahead of the film soundtrack?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 04:53 AM   #3146
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
LOL . You sure know where your towel is...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 05:53 AM   #3147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The HHGTTG radio dramas are excellent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 06:04 AM   #3148
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite / TCL Nxtpaper 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The HHGTTG radio dramas are excellent.
I think 'drama' might be stretching it a bit.
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #3149
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about a chuckle ...

After the news Random House/Penguin changed there copyright notice, I decided to give it a read.

Quote:
Penguin Random House values and supports copyright. Copyright fuels creativity, encourages diverse voices, promotes free speech, and creates a vibrant culture. Thank you for buying an authorized edition of this book and for complying with copyright laws by not reproducing, scanning, or distributing any part of it in any form without permission. You are supporting writers and allowing Penguin Random House to continue to publish books for every reader. Please note that no part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner for the purpose of training artificial intelligence technologies or systems.
Did I just violate copyright by reproducing the copyright notice (seeing as it is "any part")?

"The", "and", "a"... more copyright violation?

This post a comment on how much that copyright notice is worth.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote