Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 11:03 AM   #571
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I went through these feelings way back when Valve created Steam and used it to launch the latest incarnation of Counter-Strike. I saw the writing on the wall then, and now it's next to impossible to buy a PC game on physical media.

And now that's the way it is with ebooks via Amazon, but at least people love physical books enough that they likely aren't going away in my lifetime. So when I really want to "own" a book...I buy a physical copy.

Last edited by Hollow Man; Today at 11:30 AM.
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #572
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
15 minutes is a long time now?

I took the video to be just a vlog of an average users thoughts on the current Kindle experience rather than being any kind of in-depth journalistic expose. I hadn't heard about the "1984" or book cover issues either, which I found interesting.

Do any other ereader manufacturers and/or ebook distributors operate as egregiously as Amazon seems to?
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #573
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I went through these feelings way back when Valve created Steam and used it to launch the latest incarnation of Counter-Strike. I saw the writing on the wall then, and now it's next to impossible to buy a PC game on physical media.
I still try to buy physical game media when I can, more for easy re-sale than maintaining a future library; most games being buggy without gigs of downloadable updates that will only be easily available as long as the web stores remain active.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #574
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Do any other ereader manufacturers and/or ebook distributors operate as egregiously as Amazon seems to?
Not that I've heard.

B&N doesn't allow you to download your purchased ebooks to your computer (at least Amazon still does, if you have an eink Kindle device), but I've not heard about them deleting anything off the users' devices.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #575
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now that's the way it is with ebooks via Amazon, but at least people love physical books enough that they likely aren't going away in my lifetime. So when I really want to "own" a book...I buy a physical copy.
Well, for my part, I don't want to read a paper book. Fortunately it's still possible to deDRM ebooks, even Amazon ebooks.
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #576
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, for my part, I don't want to read a paper book. Fortunately it's still possible to deDRM ebooks, even Amazon ebooks.
True, and one can strip the copy protection from videogames as well. The average consumer doesn't have the patience for it though.

I think for most people dealing with the copy protection is not too limiting. But I do personally wonder when that tipping point is going to be where they're really infringing on my ability to use goods I've paid for.
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #577
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But I do personally wonder when that tipping point is going to be where they're really infringing on my ability to use goods I've paid for.
For me, that point was passed a decade ago - when I started to edit the formatting to my liking. These days I never read a book unless I've fixed the formatting, and DRM prevents that, so...