Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #76
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinear View Post
least to my eyes, the BW Carta 1300 wasn’t an improvement on the Carta 1200.
You're not the first person to make this observation. Perhaps the Libra BW doesn't exist yet because Kobo themselves realised that the prototype looked worse than the Libra 2.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #77
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What about the larger battery?

And my impression, from reading posts on this forum by members who actually own the Libra Colour, like the Libra Colour.
I own a Libra Colour and a Libra 2. In comparison, the LC's battery lasts longer than the L2 even with a +5-6 percent increase in light setting of the LC. FWIW, the text and contrast is nice and sharp on my LC, comparing side-by-side using my 20/20 eyeballs.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes the LC has a larger battery, but because of the higher light %, the battery drains faster. This is from owners, not my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Going by the battery life of my Libra Colour compared to a Libra 2, the Libra Colour has a slightly longer battery life. Not nearly as long as I was hoping for but still a slightly better battery life than a Libra 2.

Perhaps you could refrain from such comments? Do I need to make this a formal request?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I own a Libra Colour and a Libra 2. In comparison, the LC's battery lasts longer than the L2 even with a +5-6 percent increase in light setting of the LC. FWIW, the text and contrast is nice and sharp on my LC, comparing side-by-side using my 20/20 eyeballs.
Boy Jon, that is pretty embarrasing.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Depending on how you use your Libra 2/Colour, you could get the opposite results. How high do you set the front light, do you always have WiFi and Bluetooth enabled, etc. And of course, the Libra Colour has a battery with 37% higher capacity than the Libra 2 while the battery life I'm seeing is about 10% higher on the Libra Colour.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #80
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another potential factor is the LC battery itself: you posted a screenshot once of my battery script that said the maximum voltage was 4.4 on the LC, rather than 4.2 on the L2. If that's accurate and not just sysfs being silly, then it would indicate that Kobo is trying to avoid using a physically larger and heavier battery by pushing the existing L2-form-factor battery harder, which means you might expect the LC battery to wear out faster. Of course, since Kobo is advertising the LC as being easy to repair, Kobo may not see this as a problem.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 AM   #81
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The Libra Colour battery is rated at 3.87V, charging limit voltage is 4.45V. Rated capacity is 2050mAH, typical capacity is 2085mAH. At least that's what the label on the battery says. Looks just like the image on ifixit.com.

By comparison, the Libra 2 battery says the rated voltage is 3.7V and the charging limit voltage is 4.2V. Rated capacity is min 1420mAH, typical 1500mAH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libra_colour_battery.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	209507  

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 01:29 AM. Reason: Added Libra 2 battery information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So the much bigger capacity (39% more) likely more than compensates for the extra front light power needed for most people.

My newest phone achieves ereader reading time performance by having a 5000 mAh cell! Most of the insides must be battery. I had a 10" tablet with only 4,800 mAH, though my Lenovo Yoga with the bulge was 10,000mAh! The replacement 10.9" tablet is faster, longer run time and only 8,000 mAh. So it's not just about battery (cell) capacity but many factors.

The big advantage of a mono eink is being able to use ambient light, so colour temperature always matches and no unexpected brightness changes. Without a front light it's most like reading on paper. Also with no front light, no WiFi and no BT on eink the total power consumption is almost at sleep / off levels while you read a page.

I'd like to see a new Sage with no power cover magnets and a new Libra, both with bigger batteries so you could read for nearly a week at 8 hours a day. Right now some phones and tablets are catching up with eink ereaders if you have front light, BT and WiFi on. Certainly the phones win on run time for audio books or music as they power down screen and backlight and the eink ereader is using about as much power to do audio (which needs BT earbuds / headset). My newest phone still has the power saving and higher audio quality 3.5mm jack (and good €12 wired earphones can beat €70 BT and don't need charged).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote