Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #1546
steakhutzeee
Connoisseur
steakhutzeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Question, Wine-wow64 is available https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/releases/wine-9.0. In my tests I installed that for the limited number of dependencies. But the KFX Output looks after the wine64 executable.

Could be possible to let the plugin work with Wine-wow64 also?, so also with the single wine command that in this version replaces the wine64 command?

I don't know, maybe a symlink wine -> wine64 would suffice? I'm not sure.

Last edited by steakhutzeee; Yesterday at 10:39 AM.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #1547
Kennysim93
Kennysim93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Something is going wrong with Kindle Previewer on your system but I can’t tell anything more than that. Sorry.
That's frustrating, but thanks. Do you have any inkling as to why it's happening or what I can try in order to fix it? It's very annoying as it was working fine and just stopped a few days ago.

Out of interest, I'm aware that the plugin is only tested up to Kindle Previewer 3.84, and I've already tried installing various versions of this, but what is the best way to install a previous version? I think I just googled "Kindle Previewer 3.84 download" and found this https://www.filepuma.com/download/ki..._3.84.0-40034/. Maybe there's a better way?
Kennysim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #1548
Kennysim93

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
My log from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1536 looks the same. Mostly identical Traceback.
Maybe try with a different version of Kindle Previewer. I have to try that under Wine.
Annoyingly I've tried multiple versions of Kindle Previewer as mentioned in my last post right above this one. Did you ever manage to get this error fixed or are you still struggling with it?
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #1549
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennysim93 View Post
Do you have any inkling as to why it's happening or what I can try in order to fix it?
I have no idea. It works fine for me under Windows 11.

Quote:
Out of interest, I'm aware that the plugin is only tested up to Kindle Previewer 3.84
I have actually tested it with the latest Kindle Previewer version (3.87.0). I updated the documentation in first post in this thread to reflect this.

Quote:
what is the best way to install a previous version? I think I just googled "Kindle Previewer 3.84 download" and found this https://www.filepuma.com/download/ki..._3.84.0-40034/. Maybe there's a better way?
I have used the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and UptoDown to locate some old versions. However I cannot vouch for the integrity of the files downloaded from those sites.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #1550
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Could be possible to let the plugin work with Wine-wow64 also?, so also with the single wine command that in this version replaces the wine64 command?
I will change the plugin to look for both "wine64" and "wine" in the next release.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #1551
Kennysim93

[QUOTE=jhowell;4449008] I have no idea. It works fine for me under Windows 11.
QUOTE]

No worries. I guess all I can do is keep trying. I don't suppose you know if there's a way to convert files to KFX without using the plugin, for example, maybe there's a way of converting to KFX by directly using the Kindle Previewer?
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #1552
Kennysim93

Apologies for messing up the formatting above. Won't let me edit annoyingly. Hopefully you're still able to read my question.
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #1553
steakhutzeee
Connoisseur
steakhutzeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
I will change the plugin to look for both "wine64" and "wine" in the next release.
Thank you!
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #1554
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
[QUOTE=Kennysim93;4449020]
Quote:
I have no idea. It works fine for me under Windows 11.
QUOTE]

No worries. I guess all I can do is keep trying. I don't suppose you know if there's a way to convert files to KFX without using the plugin, for example, maybe there's a way of converting to KFX by directly using the Kindle Previewer?
KFX Output isn't doing the conversion, it is using command line interface of Kindle Previewer. So presumably you can use that too.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #1555
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't suppose you know if there's a way to convert files to KFX without using the plugin, for example, maybe there's a way of converting to KFX by directly using the Kindle Previewer?
There is a more complex alternative process. You can use the regular graphical interface of the Kindle Previewer to open an EPUB and then after it displays you can export a KPF file. That file can then be converted to KFX using the command line interface of this plugin. See the first post of this thread for details. (However given that the Kindle Previewer appears to be failing when invoked by the plugin I suspect that it will also be unable to produce a KPF file when run manually.)

Or you can use one of several send-to-kindle methods supported be Amazon, including a web site. That will deliver KFX format in most cases but it requires your device to be online with Amazon.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine