Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-09-2024, 08:17 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You have to have an established shortcut highlighted for the remove button to be enabled and to get Tab Focus, and the shortcut field must have a shortcut ready to assign for the Assign button to be enabled and get tab focus.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 101015.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	210718

Press Tab

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 101050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	210719

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 08:35 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And for the Reports Widgets, what exactly are you finding and in which specific report?
The Characters report… I use it to check for potentially spurious characters. Example: if I saw a Greek letter in an English poetry collection I'd wonder why. For me tapping Enter to see each occurrence is much easier than using a mouse or similar.

BR
Old 09-09-2024, 09:32 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Whoa - just noticed there are Shortcuts in Preferences for handling misspellings - why can't they be used in the Spellcheck dialogue.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 111052.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	210720

And why can't the context menu in the Spellchecker be the same as the one in Codeview with the inappropriate entries greyed-out.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 112402.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	210721

I notice the user assigned shortcuts are not displayed in that menu, whereas the industry standard shortcuts (Ctrl+X,C,V and A) are displayed. Displaying shortcuts in menu's is how I get to remember them.

BR
Old 09-09-2024, 09:56 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It can not be "enter" that is the default "ok" button trigger on some platforms.

I think I will just make the spellcheck dialog modal and keep the hard coded shortcuts. Dialogs can have their own dedicated shortcuts. And changing them after so long is just going to make people unhappy, for not much gain.

Thanks
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 10:00 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Characters report… I use it to check for potentially spurious characters. Example: if I saw a Greek letter in an English poetry collection I'd wonder why. For me tapping Enter to see each occurrence is much easier than using a mouse or similar.

BR
Huh? That report is meant for users who want to embed fonts but limit them to the characters actually found in the text of the ebook. All of the chars are typically reported on a single line.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:02 PM   #36
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Modal?!?!?

Ummmm..... Granted, I don't use spellcheck all that much...I'm perfekt at speling...but when I do, I very often use the double click and then make multiple changes in the CV window. Having to re-run the spell check every time with its inherent re-organizing of the word list would make the process much more painful. Can we please brainstorm this a little more before making life-altering decisions??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 10:15 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

They represent two different spellcheck tools.

The red squiggle underline approach unions the Primary and Secondary dictionaries but does not track lang attributes as it is designed to be used while actively entering or editing text. This is done for speed and because when text is being edited, the tags may still be incomplete so no real lang attributes tracking can be used. This is part of CV and not a separate dialog so it must share the keyboard shortcuts set in Preferences.

The Spellcheck dialog is designed for use when primary editing/entry of text is done and tags are well formed. It fully tracks lang attributes. And can spellcheck in multiple languages (as many as used) simultaneously. It can update and fix misspelled words in multiple places simultaneously. Again this is a separate dialog that uses its own different dedicated shortcuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Whoa - just noticed there are Shortcuts in Preferences for handling misspellings - why can't they be used in the Spellcheck dialogue.

Attachment 210720

And why can't the context menu in the Spellchecker be the same as the one in Codeview with the inappropriate entries greyed-out.

Attachment 210721

I notice the user assigned shortcuts are not displayed in that menu, whereas the industry standard shortcuts (Ctrl+X,C,V and A) are displayed. Displaying shortcuts in menu's is how I get to remember them.

BR

Last edited by KevinH; 09-09-2024 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:18 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Modal?!?!?

Ummmm..... Granted, I don't use spellcheck all that much...I'm perfekt at speling...but when I do, I very often use the double click and then make multiple changes in the CV window. Having to re-run the spell check every time with its inherent re-organizing of the word list would make the process much more painful. Can we please brainstorm this a little more before making life-altering decisions??
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

There's thread somewhere where Tex2002ans, me and others waxed lyrical on the advantage of a non-modal list based spell checkers.

BTW he's not logged on since January, anything known?

BR
Old 09-09-2024, 10:27 PM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Modal?!?!?

No worries. This is still just brainstorming. Before anything is changed in code, everyone can have a say and I will not be breaking current work patterns or existing shortcuts. Just adding to them if needed.

So what typical CV changes are you making after double-clicking on a word in the Spellcheck Dialog? Do you manually refresh the spellcheck wordlist?
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #40
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
So what typical CV changes are you making after double-clicking on a word in the Spellcheck Dialog? Do you manually refresh the spellcheck wordlist?
I usually scan down the wordlist to find world-unique or inconsistent words (eg proper names). World-unique words get added to their own dictionary. British/Australian ‘mis-spells’ are ignored. Inconsistent words I check the count to see if it’s obvious which one is correct, double-click the word and make sure the context doesn’t support a mis-spell (dialect/accent). I tend not to use correct all if the count is low because of the context check, I just fix it in the CV.

Usually, when I am in the CV fixing that word I find other things to fix right around that word - so I do.

The problem with a modal dialog, or refreshing, is that it reorders the word list and I lose my place making me start at the top again. I suppose there is also the time lost to rebuild the list on slower machines as well.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@BetterRed

Regarding the bug in Preferences KeyShortcuts that Tab focus will not properly move to the Assign button or the Remove Button ...

I have looked more closely at this and it appears to be a bug in Qt's previousInFocusChain and nextInFocusChain not including buttons that are independently enabled and disabled as this chain appears to be built once and static at the QWidgets creation (which makes no sense to me).

As it stands now, using Qt::KeyBackspace when in the shortcut field (ie. the delete key on my Mac) will properly invoke the Remove button if enabled.
The same things should work on Windows.

For the Assign button, there is no possible single key to launch it given you are in the shortcut creation field that would not be a valid possible field value.

Tab should handle this case but it does not (the nextInFocusChain Qt bug).

So unless we can figure out a single key that could be used to launch Assign (to work around this) that is not useable in assigning a shortcut we are pretty much out of luck working around this bug and will have to wait for a fix from Qt.

Sorry.

Update
--------
To workaround this Qt bug - I tried using setTabOrder but that was ignored.

Finally, I did find a way to force inject the Assign and Remove buttons into the focus chain after the Shortcut field (given they are properly enabled) with this bug workaround:

Code:
diff --git a/src/Dialogs/PreferenceWidgets/KeyboardShortcutsWidget.cpp b/src/Dialogs/PreferenceWidgets/KeyboardShortcutsWidget.cpp
index 8455ada0f..b8ec36566 100644
--- a/src/Dialogs/PreferenceWidgets/KeyboardShortcutsWidget.cpp
+++ b/src/Dialogs/PreferenceWidgets/KeyboardShortcutsWidget.cpp
@@ -293,7 +293,13 @@ void KeyboardShortcutsWidget::handleKeyEvent(QKeyEvent *event)
         if (nextKey == Qt::Key_Tab || nextKey == Qt::Key_Backtab) {
             QWidget * upnext = nullptr;
             if (nextKey == Qt::Key_Tab) {
-                upnext = nextInFocusChain();
+                if (ui.assignButton->isEnabled()) {
+                    upnext = ui.assignButton;
+                } else if (ui.removeButton->isEnabled()) {
+                    upnext = ui.removeButton;
+                } else {
+                    upnext = nextInFocusChain();
+                }
             } else {
                 upnext = previousInFocusChain();
             }
This "workaround" has been committed to master and will be available in the next release (which may be quite some time from now).

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 01:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
. . .

Regarding the bug in Preferences KeyShortcuts that Tab focus will not properly move to the Assign button or the Remove Button ...

This "workaround" has been committed to master and will be available in the next release (which may be quite some time from now).
In Windows I discovered can backtab to the Assign or Remove buttons (they are never both active); not directly, via a few other widgets.

BR
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Interesting. According to the Qt ui spec, the default tab order is the order these widgets are defined in the ui file. In our ui file the shortcut field comes immediately before the assign button which is followed by the remove button.

So I really have no idea how backtabs end up reaching them from other widgets.get there when forward tabs ignore them (even when enabled).

Glad you have a workaround for current Sigil you can use until the next release comes out.