Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Today, 01:27 PM   #76
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
As someone who has towed (and owns an small EV), The Cyber truck does not match the Air Flow of the Trailer, causing huge air resistance. OTOH The ICE pickup was taller, so the air passing over it was deflected up and over the trailer for a sleek flow.
Wrong Vehicle combination. If that had been a Ski Boat (would be low and the hull aids flow), he probably would gotten the advertised range.

Driving an EV for range, requires a driving style change. That was rammed home when I rented a car similar to the one I owned before my Leaf. My best mileage before EV was 30 (1.7L engine) After EV was 50 (2.0L)
Simply by NOT using all the performance (snappy starts and quick stops) it had.
Sorry to disagree but from the pictures of their mobile home hooked up to the 3500, it is considerably taller than their 3500 so while the air resistance might be lower, it's not that much lower. I went out and checked multiple reviews/comments/etc. on towing and EVs. Virtually every comment on towing using an EV whether it be a Cybertruck, a Rivian R1T, F150 Lightning, whatever suggests that towing using an EV is not going to be a happy experience. One item compared towing using a F150 in both the ICE and EV versions. Oddly, the Lightning did even worse than the Cybertruck in terms of range loss. The F150 ICE lost about 15% of it's range by comparison.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #77
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry to disagree but from the pictures of their mobile home hooked up to the 3500, it is considerably taller than their 3500 so while the air resistance might be lower, it's not that much lower. I went out and checked multiple reviews/comments/etc. on towing and EVs. Virtually every comment on towing using an EV whether it be a Cybertruck, a Rivian R1T, F150 Lightning, whatever suggests that towing using an EV is not going to be a happy experience. One item compared towing using a F150 in both the ICE and EV versions. Oddly, the Lightning did even worse than the Cybertruck in terms of range loss. The F150 ICE lost about 15% of it's range by comparison.
Has anyone explained why?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 PM   #78
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I learned a lesson towing one of those box trailers with my F-150 (the gas one, not the EV). I'm not a trailer guy, and this was a one-time tow across the country to help someone move.

Air resistance makes a big difference! Nobody told me I wasn't supposed to drag that trailer along behind me at 90mph. I didn't figure that out until after the trip. Meanwhile, while ON the trip, my gas mileage was about 7 mpg. I could barely make it from gas station to gas station. I was later told that if I had managed to constrain myself to 60mph and under, I would have saved several hundred dollars - or more - on gasoline during the trip.

Oops!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Two acquaintances of mine in California purchased a Cybertruck and were quite happy with it driving around town for a couple of months. Then they made the mistake of trying to use it to tow their mobile home to a campsite about 800km/500 miles away for an annual family get together . They got about 150km/94 miles from home before having to hit a charger since the Cybertruck had dropped to ~8% charged. At that point, they charged to 90%, turned around and headed home. Once they got home, they hooked the mobile home up to their Dodge 3500 and headed back out.
I have a Chevy Volt and it baffles me that PHEVs didn't take over.

The Volt gives me 50 miles on battery which works for about 90% of my day-to-day driving. But it also has a gas tank which gives me 350 miles.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #80
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

Air resistance makes a big difference!
It might a cube law? 3 times faster needs 27 x more energy?
Even square law would be 9 x more energy at 3x speed.

But the shape of trailer, "tractor" and spacing between them acounts for a lot which is why birds fly in a > shape at a particular spacing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:17 PM   #81
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It might a cube law? 3 times faster needs 27 x more energy?
Even square law would be 9 x more energy at 3x speed.

But the shape of trailer, "tractor" and spacing between them acounts for a lot which is why birds fly in a > shape at a particular spacing.
Air drag for 3x speed requires 9x power and 27x energy for fixed time and 9x energy for fixed distance

At 90mph air drag dwarfs rolling resistance but it is 3x 30mph and increases linearly with total weight, so higher total weight would take more energy even in a vacuum.

mpg also takes a big hit if there is a lot of climbing, even with regenerative braking, and if you run out of juice before significant descending you don't even get that.

Last edited by j.p.s; Today at 05:19 PM.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote