Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #1
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Full-Text Search Not Returning Results for Specific Phrases

Hello all, I’ve intentionally added everything to my digital library—it’s all in one library, with no virtual libraries. I currently have almost 100,000 books in it. I’ve been using the full-text search for quite some time, but today I found that something in my library wasn’t searchable via text.

I was searching for a very specific phrase from a specific work, and the search results came up empty. The phrase I was searching for is something exceptionally unique that I know only exists in one work, such as “purple skies at midnight over electric seas.” When I search for it, it doesn’t show up, but when I open the work, I can see it right there.

I’m trying not to stress, but now I’m wondering how often this happens. Is there a limitation with full-text search that I’m not aware of? I’m running the latest version of Calibre on Windows 11.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before? Is there any way to resolve it?

Thank you for your help.
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no limitation most likely there is some specific reason that book or phrase could not be indexed, hard ot say without access to the book. Typically it would be a PDF file with images of text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Would soft hyphens muck with the search?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Typically it would be a PDF file with images of text.
OCR'd PDFs can also be a problem due to the OCR process being less-than-perfect (0/O, I/l).
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If I remember correctly, Kovid modified FTS to remove soft hyphens back in July, 2022.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #6
Cwluc

Okay, thank you all for the replies. Apologies, I forgot to mention the file types. The files in question are all EPUBs, so the full-text search shouldn’t be causing any issues. Most of my library is EPUBs, followed by MOBI/AZW. The other formats (PDF, TXT, HTML, etc.) make up less than 1%, and I haven’t really used them in years.

I have the file and can share it, but I don’t want to be shamed for it. May I PM you the file, Kovid?
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the Launchpad tracker there's an option to flag a new ticket as 'security vulnerability' to make it private. I've done it when reporting bugs related to copyrighted files.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Cwluc - if you wanted a "second opinion" you could install an EPUB IFilter and search for the same term in Windows Search.

See Content Search EPUB

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Opena bug report, mark it private and attach your file there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #10
Cwluc

Well, this is awkward. I noticed the issue this morning before work, so I tried closing and reopening the app, but it still wasn’t working. That’s why I posted about it and updated throughout the day. Now that I’m back home, everything’s working fine, like nothing was ever wrong. So, at the moment, I’m all good. Thanks for the replies and assistance. If the issue pops up again, I’ll pick up from there.
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Was the book newly-added? Perhaps the indexing stalled for some reason.