Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #511
hondabf
hondabf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I don't find the battery drain excessive when I leave the wi-fi on.
Good on you, some other people do.

Quote:
I can't blame Amazon for not fixing a problem that only arises if you don't connect to the Amazon server frequently enough: your choice, but you also choose the expected consequences.
Your comment is quite dumb.

The “consequences” should be limited to not having the store or whispersync service available, not books being deleted from the device. The bug should be fixed regardless of whether it is a wi-fi problem or not. Do not blame the users for their dumb software.

You might as well argue that Amazon should remove the toggle for wi-fi in the next update or tell us that our device must stay connected at all times just so we don't run into their incompetent software (sorry, "expected consequences"), at least in that last case we could all move on from Kindle, which is what people on r/kindle or r/ereader are doing right now.
hondabf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 04:37 PM   #512
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Or--of course--to just keep wifi turned on all the time.
That is not a solution. If you have a new enough Kindle, you'll end up getting the new firmware that has a nice new feature called Battery Drain.

Keeping the WiFi on will use up the battery more for no reason when calibre is the solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 04:38 PM   #513
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is, of course, your choice. I don't find the battery drain excessive when I leave the wi-fi on and I can't blame Amazon for not fixing a problem that only arises if you don't connect to the Amazon server frequently enough: your choice, but you also choose the expected consequences.
Please don't say it's a user error. It's not. It's an Amazon error.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #514
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
One possible explanation for this is that Amazon is trying to fix what it views as a mistake. Some years ago I bought a left-behind PW3G from Unclaimed Baggage. Unclaimed Baggage had signed the original user out of the kindle but otherwise left it intact--It had a recent edition of the Sunday (London) Times and a few other books.

When I registered it, those books stayed on the Kindle and stayed available to me (because the Kindle DRM uses the device serial number).

I enjoyed the Sunday Times, but I don't think it and the other books should have remained available when I changed the registration.
You said it yourself. The DRM is tied to the serial number. So yes, those eBooks are allowed to be there when you registered.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:44 PM   #515
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Actually, I was more concerned about the impact on the person who left the Kindle behind. While nothing on this particular Kindle was embarrassing (unless you think reading the Sunday Times is itself incriminating), there could have been items that should not have been seen by me.
The Sunday Times is embarrassing if it's the Sunday Times from the UK. But if it's the Sunday Times from the US, that's OK.
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #516
whochan
whochan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2019
my books and highlights are gone too. wow
whochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #517
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by whochan View Post
my books and highlights are gone too. wow
Welcome to the I've been screwed, blued & tattooed by Amazon club.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote