Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM   #1
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Question Anyway to Create Headers and Footers Such That They Can't Be Selected

Hi!

Often times I'll be copying across a pagebreaks in PDF. I generate headers and footers from the GUI, EPUB >> PDF, with this:

<header style="justify-content: flex-end; color: gray; font-size: small;padding-top: 20px;"><div class="odd-page"><i>_SECTION_</i></div></header>
<p style="text-align:center; color: gray; font-size: small"> _PAGENUM_</p>

When you drag the select across the pagebreak you'll get all those details in the selection.

Anyway to suppress that? Such that the headers and footers are NON-selectable?

I've got PDF X-change editor, so if there are any tools there you can think of, that'd work, too. But, question is - in going from Epub to PDF - any way to set the headers and footers into the page so they can't be copied?

Thanks!
Blaineoreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No as far as I know there is no way to make text in a pdf not copyable, regardless of its location.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #3
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Yep, yep! Roger that.

Are there any other formats you can think of that sort of get around this wee quirk of PDF?

One idea that occurred to me was to sort of render the headings FIRST? And, then transform them into background images? I mean - that'd be a whole other step, for sure, in the conversion process EPUB >> PDF, but it would be sort of a sweet win.

The thing about the headings is a pain - almost like having the filename you're working on appended to any copy and paste. The files I use are all loooooooong from, and many a time I've had to go fish out the information. Whenever I'm on a conceptual roll, it's always a huge sort of mental momentum breaker for me. Half the time I'll just leave them in to keep the any motion going - but that's even worse in a way - coming back to find something floating around in notes I've made that's only like half the author's name and a page number, or a sub-chapter title.

What do you think? Does my switch to background image before rendering text in body of pages have any validity?

And! THANK YOU for Calibre! RARE have so many owed so much to - one GUY! Calbre is the jam, Kovid. THANK YOU! ))
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just use EPUB with a reader that displays section titles in the header or footer such as the calibre viewer.
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #5
Blaineoreski
Zealot

I need to use a PDF reader - actually one specific one for the research I'm doing.

Are there any plugins for Calibre that do anything similar EPUB >> PDF? Or, even, PDF >> PDF?

Could it be added as a feature?

Here's my thinking - once the headers are added at the GUI in Calibre's conversion - there's not really any upside to having them copy and pasteable.

How does that sound?

Sincerely,

Ski
Old Today, 10:48 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not something I am interested in implementing, sorry.
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaineoreski View Post
I need to use a PDF reader - actually one specific one for the research I'm doing.

Are there any plugins for Calibre that do anything similar EPUB >> PDF? Or, even, PDF >> PDF?

Could it be added as a feature?

Here's my thinking - once the headers are added at the GUI in Calibre's conversion - there's not really any upside to having them copy and pasteable.

How does that sound?

Sincerely,

Ski
Are you trying to create a form of copy protection (DRM)?
Make your headers an Image
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote