Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 11:34 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No one is going to sue tens of thousands of ordinary users who keep their stuff in Dropbox.
Probably not.
However it's not a backup as the entirety of Dropbox or of Google Drive could be geoblocked by law, or turned off. It's a convenient service that through thoughtless greed, the operator is making illegal (civil law not criminal law). Note to Google, Dropbox etc, criminla violations have fixed maximum tarrifs. Civil infractions have no limit to penalty.

The companies touting LLM AI have been really stupid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, clue in name. DRM removal might contravene something, but not copyright.

Deliberately sharing copies is what violates copyright.

Also multiple personal copies of a copyright digital work that are not made public doesn't violate copyright. That's been legally established.
Yes, and uploading them to your private storage space on a cloud server is then no copyright violation either, as you're not deliberately sharing them (if the owner of the server shares your private stuff, then it's the owner who will be responsible).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Probably not.
However it's not a backup as the entirety of Dropbox or of Google Drive could be geoblocked by law, or turned off. It's a convenient service that through thoughtless greed, the operator is making illegal (civil law not criminal law). Note to Google, Dropbox etc, criminla violations have fixed maximum tarrifs. Civil infractions have no limit to penalty..
Of course I'm not keeping an only copy there.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote