Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #16
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The patch for KEPUB word spacing is only useful if you use a small font. The larger your font size is, the less effect the patch will have. The patch effectively does nothing when your font is big.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #17
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

The default reader is showing illustration larger for kepub than epub, at least on the one book I tried. It's expanding them to the left and right edges.

It did not use the formatting from the prior open book, so I had to redo font size, etc. I'm using a larger font size, about 14 lines/page, so it seems I can ignore the word space patch.

A tutorial six page popped up when I opened the book, how to turn pages, the meaning of icons, etc.

And, yes, if you hold down a button it scrolls forward or backward, depending.

Last edited by foosion; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, you definitely won't see any difference with the patch. I get around 20 lines per screen, and the patch has no effect, other than moving the words a pixel or two. Unless your font size is so small that the few reclaimed pixels allows you to fit an extra word on the line, the patch isn't useful.

You can double tap on images to open the image viewer, which lets you zoom and pan.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #19
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

The image viewer is a definite advantage to kepub.

Some words at the right margin are hyphenated in kepub, even with left justification. None were with epub books.

There are some one line widows/orphans. Top and bottom margins are smaller. You can set a secondary font in case the primary doesn't work.

That's all I've noticed so far.

Last edited by foosion; Yesterday at 08:44 PM.
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
There are some one line widows/orphans. Top and bottom margins are smaller. You can set a secondary font in case the primary doesn't work.

Personally, I set the widows and orphans to 1 in the book css, so I don't have gaps at the bottom of the page even with epubs. And I use a patch for decreasing top and bottom margins in the epub reader.

I read kepubs on my Sage and epubs on my Libra 2 (the reason is personal preference regarding the layout and word spacing - IMO epubs look better on the smaller screen of the Libra 2, while there's no real difference on the 8'' screen of the Sage).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
The image viewer is a definite advantage to kepub.

Some words at the right margin are hyphenated in kepub, even with left justification. None were with epub books.

Also, footnotes are easier to tap on for kepub.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #22
foosion
Connoisseur

On my Libra 2, I have a book in its original epub and a kepub version converted with KePub Output, both loaded by Calibre.

I have both set to the same chapter beginning. The epub is listed as page 160 of 405 (MyBooks shows 39%) while the kepub is 812 of 2607 (28%, but 812/2607=31%). FWIW, Amazon lists the print length at 402.

??