Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 07:08 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I agree with this and have no problem with you reporting a "bug" in Kindle for PC. My concern is with your using Download & Transfer as evidence of the "bug" in Kindle for PC, which could just cause Amazon to add the "bug" to Download & Transfer.

First, Download & Transfer works for all eink Kindles, even new ones. So this affects everyone who owns an eink Kindle, not just old Kindles.

I get that you think this is not important, and you think it's no big deal to buy ebooks elsewhere. Fine, that's your choice. But other people like Download & Transfer and would like to keep it the way it is. Telling them they can just buy books elsewhere because you don't care about Download & Transfer is like blowing up everyone's boats because you don't care about yours.

Also, I'm sure Amazon hasn't forgotten that Download & Transfer provides DRM-free ebooks when the author/publisher specifies, and so far they seem content to leave it that way. But if there's suddenly a big fuss about Download & Transfer, I can see them putting some energy into making changes, which is contrary to the purpose of this thread.
What I can see happening is Amazon change D&T via USB such that if you have a Kindle that handles KFX, you get a DRMed KFX from D&T. You would need a Kindle that handles KF8 and not KFX to get KF8.

@Lief LEAVE "DOWNLOAD & TRANSFER VIA USB" ALONE. DON'T GO TRYING TO GET AMAZON TO MAKE A CHANGE THAT NOBODY ELSE WANTS!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 PM   #137
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The purpose of a system is what it does. Everything we've seen shows Amazon restricting methods that allow the user to take books out of the Kindle ecosystem.

Bringing attention to Download & Transfer will possible result in them adding restrictions.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 PM   #138
Lief
Connoisseur
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I agree with this and have no problem with you reporting a "bug" in Kindle for PC. My concern is with your using Download & Transfer as evidence of the "bug" in Kindle for PC, which could just cause Amazon to add the "bug" to Download & Transfer.
Ok but I already did that... I cannot change the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Lief LEAVE "DOWNLOAD & TRANSFER VIA USB" ALONE. DON'T GO TRYING TO GET AMAZON TO MAKE A CHANGE THAT NOBODY ELSE WANTS!
As I wrote I have already reported the problem before writing it here, but unlike what you write I reported the problem as a bug of Kindle PC app for ebooks that should be DRM-free (I don't really care/use the download&transfer via usb method... I used to get backup with the Kindle PC app since I cannot download manga for my kindle 4 anyway). I just asked to do the same to those that care about it. The D&T via usb was just the example that I used because this is the first example I could think of of how to prove that the ebook was actually drm-free and therefore there is a bug with the Kindle PC app, I never said to use the same example.
In any case it is completely useless to write to me over and over again "leave the d&t via usb alone"... I am not Amazon, I have already reported the Kindle PC app bug.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief View Post
As I wrote I have already reported the problem before writing it here, but unlike what you write I reported the problem as a bug of Kindle PC app for ebooks that should be DRM-free (I don't really care/use the download&transfer via usb method... I used to get backup with the Kindle PC app since I cannot download manga for my kindle 4 anyway). I just asked to do the same to those that care about it. The D&T via usb was just the example that I used because this is the first example I could think of of how to prove that the ebook was actually drm-free and therefore there is a bug with the Kindle PC app, I never said to use the same example.

In any case it is completely useless to write to me over and over again "leave the d&t via usb alone"... I am not Amazon, I have already reported the Kindle PC app bug.
You could call Amazon and tell them that what you reported was a mistake and see if that helps cancel it. Besides, you are so very wrong. What you say is a bug is not a bug. It's a deliberate action taken by Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46 PM   #140
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The purpose of a system is what it does. Everything we've seen shows Amazon restricting methods that allow the user to take books out of the Kindle ecosystem.

Bringing attention to Download & Transfer will possible result in them adding restrictions.
Of course they don't want people to take books out of the Kindle ecosystem. That's why they created the Kindle ecosystem in the first place.

At first they were more lax about this and instead focused on invention, better customer experience, the carrot instead of the whip. Then, after they were firmly the market leader (and possibly also the management had changed), they started to focus on preventing folks from leaving, not on enticing them to stay.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #141
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could call Amazon and tell them that what you reported was a mistake and see if that helps cancel it.
That would almost certainly be of no use whatsoever.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote