Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever purchased a public-domain eBook?
Yes 12 52.17%
Yes, by accident (didn't realize it was PD) 2 8.70%
No 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 11:30 AM   #16
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Few times. Didn't realize it was once. Others they were kindle and I was all kindle-happy at the time.

Don't think I'd do it again without good reason to. I've learned how to edit ebooks with Sigil and stuff so I would be hard pressed to do it again without good reason. (Pete and repeat I know)
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #17
jackm8
Groupie
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When deciding, I'll quickly look at different sources, then more often than not, go with public domain books, or with a paper book instead.

There are reasons for buying one. New translations, quality annotations. Shakespeare benefits from annotations and fresh editing, and you practically must, or should, go with new translations of books like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas, because public domain books are all based on a censored and abridged version stemming from Lewis Page Mercier's flawed translation.

Then there's extra padding to consider, like introductions and essays, some are great, but many of those are actually a reason to go with public domain sources.

I'd also love it if I could put fresh or original illustrations, and maps to this list, but they're generally in horrible low resolution and don't bring anything new or fresh. In fact, I often find much better illustrations on scans on Archive.org. It was there that I found the only version of Ninety-Two Days from Evelyn Waugh with his photographs. Scans were poor, but still better than nothing.

Last edited by jackm8; Today at 12:37 PM.
jackm8 is online now   Reply With Quote