Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #46
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had been using 'download & transfer via USB' method (and will continue to) but that does not work for print replica titles, so I finally got around to setting things up using Kindle Classic.

With a few exceptions, most publishers have not gotten around to (or no interest in) adding Scribe to list of supported devices, so not only can I now add them to my calibre library and covert to PDF (with latest update to KFX input, PDF outline items are getting added from the source KFX), but I can take the KFX and side load it to the Scribe. It syncs with my library, downloads a thumbnail image and annotations made elsewhere, just as if I had done a direct download.

I probably had less than a dozen titles in this format, but it just feels nice to be able to do what I expected Scribe to do when I first got one and learned that it had print replica support.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-28-2024 at 09:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So is it really much much more difficult to deal with Kindle eBooks then ePub eBooks (in calibre) that we need a stickied thread in the calibre forum?

Once you have the Kindle eBook, I would think it's no more difficult then ePub. So in that case the directions for getting Kindle eBooks from Amazon really should go int he Kindle forum as it really has nothing to do with calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #48
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So is it really much much more difficult to deal with Kindle eBooks then ePub eBooks (in calibre) that we need a stickied thread in the calibre forum?
Have you actually read the first post of this thread, Jon? The answer is yes. Getting Amazon (not 'Kindle', that's why it is here and not in the Kindle forum) ebooks DRM-stripped is rather more involved than doing the same for Adobe DRM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:36 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Have you actually read the first post of this thread, Jon? The answer is yes. Getting Amazon (not 'Kindle', that's why it is here and not in the Kindle forum) ebooks DRM-stripped is rather more involved than doing the same for Adobe DRM.
Actually, it's not more difficult. Not any longer. It can be more difficult to download Kindle eBooks. But once download, most Kindle eBooks load into calibre sans DRM easily if you have calibre and the correct DeDRM version.

So given that how to download Kindle eBooks is not a calibre issue, it doesn't need to be here. It really does belong in the Kindle forum.

Of course I've read the first post of this thread. That's how I know it's inappropriate for the calibre forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree.
This is a Kindle Issue, not a how do I use Calibre issue.

AFAIK You can still STORE a print replica (or other DRM infested) in Calibre for later delivery to the registered device. Just no conversion or editing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmmm... so using calibre, the DeDRM plugin and other plugins for calibre does not make discussing this topic in the calibre forums the right place? Discussion of the oddities of the Kindle Scribe's handling of various formats belongs in the Kindle forum since that has nothing to do with calibre. OTOH, thread drift is a perennial issue for MobileRead.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #52
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I started this thread as a continuation of Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre, which was started in the calibre forum in 2017 and had 2,233 posts before it was retired by the original poster. Since the original thread was in the calibre forum, the natural place for this continuation thread seemed to be the calibre forum. Also, after referring to an active, stickied thread that spent 7 years in the calibre forum, if something changes with Kindle for PC/Mac or Download & transfer via USB, will people look for this thread in the calibre forum (where they've been used to finding the original thread for 7 years) or the Kindle forum?

That said, I suppose the questions are: If someone is trying to get a Kindle ebook into calibre so they can convert it or whatever and they can't figure out how, are they going to look in the calibre forum or Kindle forum for help? Or if someone imports a Kindle ebook into calibre and they can't do anything with it (convert, unpack, etc.), presumably because it has DRM, are they going to look for the answer in the calibre forum or the Kindle forum?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote