Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Today, 04:45 AM   #136
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Inverted Mode can be accessed from Developer Options. To get Developer Options to show, do a search for "devmodeon" on the home screen. There won't be a notification or anything, but if you go to Settings after this, you should see Developer Options under Device Information.

After you've checked Inverted Mode, you must reboot your Kobo.
Ok, thanks, good to know. Given that it inverts images, it's not something that appeals to me. Dark Mode as a reading setting will have to do.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:33 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Considering I'm still using the original Oasis, and I've given up hope they're going to release a new one, I'd sure like to think they are going to put out something exciting...
One of the two Kindles is a boring Basic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Oh yeah, the inverted images can be tolerable on a monochromatic device, but with colour... oh dear.
Another + for a BW Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #139
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Kids is now unavailable in the UK. Only the Kindle Paperwhite Kids, some models of Kindle Oasis, and the Kindle Scribe are still available.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #140
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another + for a BW Kobo.
That's not a solution, images will still get inverted with the Developer setting, right?

They need to do a proper system level Dark Mode, and render the images in books without inversion, like 'everyone else' does. The mobile apps don't support system Dark Mode either. This is not rocket science.

At the same time, it is not a big deal for me. But their interpretation of Dark Mode is quirky.

(back to original topic)

Prime days are over, prices return to 'normal' and the out of stock models are still out of stock. I still think it unlikely that they are going to stop manufacturing new Kindles but it's obviously not a priority. I do think the demand for these devices is shrinking and Amazon is not releasing new models frequently because of that.

Last edited by tomsem; Today at 06:26 PM.
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #141
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's possible that sporadic availablilty is because of unsold stock being returned by retailers. It has happened during othe model transitions.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 PM   #142
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Does seem like Kindle releases have been getting less frequent as time goes on.

But there hasn't been what I'd consider any significant innovation since frontlighting, IMO

(Personally I'll use color changing frontlighting but it's not something I'd go out of my way for)

EDIT: the Paperwhite, which brought frontlighting to the Kindle line, was what, 2012?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #143
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Warm light was an overhyped feature IMO, I never found it preferable to dark theme in dark environment or to plain white with any amount of external lighting.

I'm certainly doing more than my share to keep eReaders relevant. I probably have about 10 of the things (including 2 with Kaleido), for reasons that I cannot even explain to myself. But I did cull the herd and donated a perfectly good one to Goodwill this week, FWIW.

My interest in a new Kindle is lower than it's ever been, and especially if it is just a refresh of current lineup. Almost 2 years in I remain very happy with Scribe (in a glass half full way) so probably about the only thing that would capture my interest is if they come out with a color Kindle with Gallery display technology. It would need to have 8"-ish or larger display.

Last edited by tomsem; Today at 07:16 PM.