Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Today, 08:34 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Ram View Post
So if you send as an epub to Kobo do you not use the Kobo plugins or do you use them but set them up not to convert to kepub?
The Kobo Extended PI MENU has a selection to SWITCH the drivers. No need to dig in Preferences: Plugins.

@Sirtel must have reasons for their choice. Both of my Kobos behave the same, so I just use Extended mode
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
So if you send as an epub to Kobo do you not use the Kobo plugins or do you use them but set them up not to convert to kepub?
You can choose whether the book will be sent as epub or as kepub. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Also you can install patches on your Kobo that improve the layout, typesetting and many other things. No rooting or jailbreak needed.

Having used Kindles in the past, I must say I like the way my books look on my Kobos far better - I can customize the look in almost any way I want. With Kindles one is considerably more limited (unless you jailbreak and install KOReader).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Kobo Extended PI MENU has a selection to SWITCH the drivers. No need to dig in Preferences: Plugins.

@Sirtel must have reasons for their choice. Both of my Kobos behave the same, so I just use Extended mode
The reason for my choice is simple: I like the way epubs look more on the 7" screen of my Libra (esp. word spacing). On the 8" screen of my Sage there is less difference, so I use kepubs.
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you mean azw3/KF8, I would suggest trying the KindleUnpack plugin instead of calibre's built in coversion to extract an ePub from an azw3 since the structure and CSS will be much closer to the azw3's structure (and much like the structure of the ePub used as input to Kindle Publishing). If you mean azw (mobi with DRM), then calibre' conversion is pretty much the only game in town.
But don't forget you will need to use epubcheck and the calibre validator to validate the ePub as there is at least one thing always structurally not correct with the ePub made from the KF8.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But don't forget you will need to use epubcheck and the calibre validator to validate the ePub as there is at least one thing always structurally not correct with the ePub made from the KF8.
I never do that. So far have managed to read my books without.
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Stupid Vellum frequently has this in their CSS.
Vellum is far worse then stupid. InDesign is stupid for ePub. Vellum is downright atrocious,

Last edited by JSWolf; Today at 11:07 AM.
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I mostly read ePub. The KoboTouchExtended driver allows a script to be used to decide what format to send. I have a custom column that I put a Y in when I want to send KePub. Otherwise by default it sends ePub.

Here is the code I use. It's under the KobotTouchExtended Extended tab. Select Send books as kepus and also check Use template for kepubification next to this is where the program code goes). You may or may not want to check the option to Upload DRM -encumbered ePub files.

Code:
program: 
	$#kepub == 'yes'
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Vellum is far worse then stupid. InDesign is stupid for ePub. Vellum is downright atrocious,
Not disagreeing, but I have little choice IF THE PUBLISHER USES IT.

I simply have a few saved searches that I use to edit new purchases. Usually takes a MINUTE to bash it into My Way.
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I never do that. So far have managed to read my books without.
One that can can cause a problem is eBooks with errors. So I don't take the chance.
Old Today, 12:24 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I mostly read ePub. The KoboTouchExtended driver allows a script to be used to decide what format to send. I have a custom column that I put a Y in when I want to send KePub. Otherwise by default it sends ePub.

Here is the code I use. It's under the KobotTouchExtended Extended tab. Select Send books as kepus and also check Use template for kepubification next to this is where the program code goes). You may or may not want to check the option to Upload DRM -encumbered ePub files.

Code:
program: 
	$#kepub == 'yes'
This wouldn't help if I want to send the same book as kepub to one device and as epub to the other. So I'll still have to flip the driver between devices.
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

It takes so little time to fire off the DEBUG in the Calibre editor. Why not?
I know which warnings I can ignore.

While I expect to see a few errors with Self Pub, I also see some rally bad ones from major houses. (Major, not just sloppy, but functional code).
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It takes so little time to fire off the DEBUG in the Calibre editor. Why not?
I know which warnings I can ignore.

While I expect to see a few errors with Self Pub, I also see some rally bad ones from major houses. (Major, not just sloppy, but functional code).
Haven't needed so far. And it may take little time with one book, but the time adds up when doing fifty, hundred, two hundred... Yes, I buy a lot. And often I start to clean up my purchases when I have accumulated a fair amount.
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Haven't needed so far. And it may take little time with one book, but the time adds up when doing fifty, hundred, two hundred... Yes, I buy a lot. And often I start to clean up my purchases when I have accumulated a fair amount.
Your Publisher and book seller thank you
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your Publisher and book seller thank you
I'm sure they have gotten rich by me. Sometimes I think I could have bought several cars for the money I have spent on books during my lifetime.
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The KoboTouch driver that comes with calibre does not convert to kepub. To have that feature, you need to add the KoboTouchExtended driver and check the convert to kepub box. The few times I want to send kepubs, I use Kobo Utilities to switch the driver.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote