Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
While this might be true, it doesn't explain why some devices behave this way and others don't - for example, my Libra 2 doesn't do it, but the OP's Libra does. I'm no speed reader, so differences in reading speed are probably not the cause in this case.

AFAIK basically all Sages do it, but with other Kobo models it doesn't seem to be so absolute.
I very seldom see missed keystrokes on my Sage since I qualify as a fast reader. When I bounced the query off Kobo, the response about sleep timing seemed to fit my use case since the only time I've noticed the issue has been when I am reading and pause to do something else for a minute or more. Compared to other Kobo models, the Sage is very aggressive in it's sleep timing in an attempt to compensate for the Sunxi Allwinner B300 CPU's less than spectacular power management.

Edit: You may want to check the KOReader thread: Poor battery performance on Sage for more information.

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding link to KOReader Sage battery performance thread
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #17
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If this is indeed the problem, it's the first time I've heard of the Libra being affected by the aggressive power management of the Sage. My bet is still on a poorly formatted book.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If this is indeed the problem, it's the first time I've heard of the Libra being affected by the aggressive power management of the Sage. My bet is still on a poorly formatted book.
This may very well be the reason, as I split such huge single-file books into separate chapter files before sending them to my Kobos. So I would not see this behavior on my Libra 2, if the formatting is the cause.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Libra 2 has power management which less aggressive than the Sage 'enjoys' but then it has a different CPU (a Freescale i.MX6 which Kobo used in several models starting with the Glo HD compared to the Sunxi CPU in the Sage).

A poorly formatted book might cause issues with page turns but the effects would be seen with taps/swipes as well as using the page turn buttons.

And given my habits when importing a book into my library, I can guarantee that none of the ePubs on my Kobos are poorly formatted.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 01:41 AM.
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #20
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this mean you've also seen the problem? Your profile doesn't indicate that you have a Libra 2. I only experience delayed / ignored page turns when the book is to blame. The Sage is well known for this problem, but as you've already said, it's due to overly aggressive power management that doesn't apply to the Libra.
Old Today, 01:40 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Does this mean you've also seen the problem? Your profile doesn't indicate that you have a Libra 2. I only experience delayed / ignored page turns when the book is to blame. The Sage is well known for this problem, but as you've already said, it's due to overly aggressive power management that doesn't apply to the Libra.
I don't own a Libra 2. OTOH, I have set up several of them and have used them for several hours each while setting them up. I do have several other Kobo ereaders that have used the Freescale i.MX 6 family of CPUs. As part of experience setting up the Libra 2s, I have also become familiar with the number of power management setups the Libra 2 has used. It seems every blasted one I open has a different motherboard version/subversion and the power management chipset has been different in each unit.

And no, I don't list every ereader I have in my profile.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 01:44 AM.
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #22
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Have you experienced this problem during the setup process, then? I'm still not sure why you'd suggest that the problem is faulty power management when the Libra 2 isn't known for having such a problem, unless you've seen it yourself and know that the book was not to blame.
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Have you experienced this problem during the setup process, then? I'm still not sure why you'd suggest that the problem is faulty power management when the Libra 2 isn't known for having such a problem, unless you've seen it yourself and know that the book was not to blame.
Which is exactly what I am saying. After setting the Libra 2s up and copying some books to them, I read one or two books on them. I have had button issues a couple of times especially while watching a hockey or football game and reading during the commercial breaks. I have also had what I think is a related issue when I had to close, open, close and re-open the sleep cover to wake the ereader up when I left it for 15 minutes or so so >10 minutes past my default 5 minutes sleep time. It does not happen as often on the Sage but it does happen on occasion. OTOH, it has not happened yet on my Libra Colour though that uses a different firmware revision and the MediaTek CPU family is supposed to be amongst the better ones in power management.
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The explanation I got for this is that especially on the Sage with it's very aggressive power management, after a certain delay, the ereader goes to a deep sleep mode. The first key press wakes the ereader up but it will take a while before the ereader is awake enough to process the key press. At that point, I had usually lost patience and hit the key again. So now the second key press is queued up and gets processed as well.
Does the explanation make sense? I would think that for people who read slowly and use a Sage, they would see the problem very often, maybe even every page turn?

I tried on a Sage:

wait 60 seconds then tapped: page turned fine
Waited 120 seconds then tapped: page turned fine

And I've seen it on older readers.

More likely a bug in the aggressive power management then just the aggressive power management.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #25
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
The double page turn (after the first tap/swipe/press does nothing) happens occasionally on my Elipsa. I validate every epub before I load it onto the device, so while it may have something to do with a poorly formatted ebook, I doubt it. It doesn't happen very often, so I haven't given much thought or effort to tracking down the problem.

Last edited by icallaci; Today at 09:34 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does the explanation make sense? I would think that for people who read slowly and use a Sage, they would see the problem very often, maybe even every page turn?

I tried on a Sage:

wait 60 seconds then tapped: page turned fine
Waited 120 seconds then tapped: page turned fine

And I've seen it on older readers.

More likely a bug in the aggressive power management then just the aggressive power management.
No, the issue is more subtle than simply slow reading, but is more likely with staring at one page too long.

Only my original Libra is totally reliable on the presses. Tested 4 Sages and one Libra 2.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
The double page turn (after the first tap/swipe/press does nothing) happens occasionally on my Elipsa.
Is that the original Elipsa or the Elipsa 2E? The original Elipsa used the same CPU as the Sage (Sunxi Allwinner B300 quad core 1.8GHz) and had many of the same power issues while the Elipsa 2E moved to a MediaTek MT8113 dual-core 2GHz.