Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #1
bw777
bw777 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Find Obok Failed DeDRM

Hello. Loading epub files downloaded from Kobo into Adobe Digital Editions, then dragging the resultant epub from the Digital Editions folder into Calibre, imports books correctly. However, I started using Obok DeDRM for its convenience, and spot checking the results seemed successful. However, now I've discovered that it's been occasionally failing, leaving me with some sort of encoded book about once in every dozen. So as I find the failed books I have manually replaced those via ADE.

So, first, is there a known issue with Obok failing?

And, second, is there a way to find these files that failed import without having to view every book? I have several thousand books, so searches take some time, and i haven't found a reliable search yet (Quality Check - Check DRM doesn't find them, so i assume Obok did something to them).

Thank you.
bw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Try running the Count Pages plugin - it should fail with the DRMed books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #3
bw777
bw777 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Try running the Count Pages plugin - it should fail with the DRMed books.
Interesting... it succeeds, and by way of example, for "The Age of Caesar: Five Roman Lives" by Plutarch (one of the books in question) reports 501 pages in the Obok result epub. Via the ADE route, it reports 464 pages. The book actually has 432 pages. It would appear Obok is removing DRM metadata, but failing to decrypt. Count Pages is "succeeding" the same way it "succeeds" with image-only books (i.e. its guesses fail).

The Obok variant retains a Table of Contents.

Any other ideas here?

Thank you.
bw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw777 View Post
Interesting... it succeeds, and by way of example, for "The Age of Caesar: Five Roman Lives" by Plutarch (one of the books in question) reports 501 pages in the Obok result epub. Via the ADE route, it reports 464 pages. The book actually has 432 pages. It would appear Obok is removing DRM metadata, but failing to decrypt. Count Pages is "succeeding" the same way it "succeeds" with image-only books (i.e. its guesses fail).

The Obok variant retains a Table of Contents.

Any other ideas here?

Thank you.
In my experience, the Count Pages plugin is unable to count the pages in a DRMed book. I just tried and it couldn't. If it could with your books, then something else is going on, not merely a failure to remove the DRM.

What happens if you try to convert the book?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Count Pages is "succeeding" the same way it "succeeds" with image-only books (i.e. its guesses fail).
For image only PDFs (e.g. magazine) and comic formats Count Pages counts the images.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello. Loading epub files downloaded from Kobo into Adobe Digital Editions, then dragging the resultant epub from the Digital Editions folder into Calibre, imports books correctly. However, I started using Obok DeDRM for its convenience, and spot checking the results seemed successful. However, now I've discovered that it's been occasionally failing, leaving me with some sort of encoded book about once in every dozen. So as I find the failed books I have manually replaced those via ADE.

So, first, is there a known issue with Obok failing?

And, second, is there a way to find these files that failed import without having to view every book? I have several thousand books, so searches take some time, and i haven't found a reliable search yet (Quality Check - Check DRM doesn't find them, so i assume Obok did something to them).

Thank you.
Did you insert the serial number of your Kobo device into the OBOK customization if you are copying the books from your Kobo device? When I look at my Kobo device or the Kobo App library, about 20% of the books show as having DRM, the other 80% are not DRMmed. For whatever reason, Kobo does not encrypt the ePub3 navigation document, the ePub2 NCX document or the CSS stylesheet(s).

As far as I am aware Quality Check does not detect Kobo's DRM scheme so it's DRM check is not going to work however since the cover is encrypted, you should be able to use Quality Check's Missing covers to detect them.

At one point, I was playing with a utility to check if there was a rights.xml file in the root of the ePub's .zip container but never finished it.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 01:47 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are best to download ePub and if you want to read KePub, use the Kobo Touch Extended driver to convert to KePub. I've not had an ePub fail to have the DRM removed.

Which version of DeDRM are you using?

This link is to the alpha version with the latest code.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...947bf338d3ffda
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, dedrm, epub, obok, plug-ins