Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #16
garland667
garland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you thought of using Kobo Desktop to read this on your PC? Kobo Desktop
No I didn't, Kobo Desktop wasn't advertised anywhere, I thought my only option was the web-based Kobo reader. The desktop version will allow me to display the book on my computer even when I'm offline...on a windows VM because there's no Linux version. There's no way to add annotations though, but I'll takes notes on a separate piece of paper.

One last question for you: is the fixed-layout implemented by the publisher of the book or the reseller? In other words, would I have run into the same issues had I bought the book from another website?

For the next books I'll use for study, I think I'll stick to paper versions unfortunately, this way I'll be certain to be able to take notes and mark pages as I wish.
garland667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I believe the entire layout of the book is performed by the Publisher; the reseller is merely a conduit to get the book to you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by garland667 View Post
. . .

For the next books I'll use for study, I think I'll stick to paper versions unfortunately, this way I'll be certain to be able to take notes and mark pages as I wish.
Next time look for a PDF.

There are several bookstores who have that Hatchette book you bought from Kobo available as PDF - e.g. numilog and leslibraires.

And there are numerous PDF viewers with extensive annotation capabilities that will run on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and IOS.

Converting PDFs created by a professional with a word processor such as MS Word, LO Writer and Wordperfect to EPUB is not the nightmare of converting OCR scanned paper PDFs. It can be as simple opening the PDF in Word, saving as DOCX and converting that to EPUB with calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #19
garland667
garland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beautygarland667 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look into my issue.

I'll know what to look for next time.

Cheers!
KG
garland667 is offline   Reply With Quote