Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 06:58 AM   #16
hatuluang
Zealot
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
Still very poor contrast and no colour. No use to me.
The image depends on its resolution in your book.
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:51 AM   #17
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post
The image depends on its resolution in your book.
Look, I appreciate that you think that you're helping, but you're really not. Nothing that you've said is more than peripherally relevant. The problem with graphics is fundamental limitations of e-ink screens, and nothing to do with file formats or contents. Those screens are excellent for reading text, but they do have limitations. They are not, and cannot yet be, a perfect substitute for printed books.
bluepeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #18
hatuluang
Zealot
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
Look, I appreciate that you think that you're helping, but you're really not. Nothing that you've said is more than peripherally relevant. The problem with graphics is fundamental limitations of e-ink screens, and nothing to do with file formats or contents. Those screens are excellent for reading text, but they do have limitations. They are not, and cannot yet be, a perfect substitute for printed books.
I don't mean to argue with you, even though what you say is true, but by using CBZ/CBR format (comic/manga) images can be seen well and in detail on Kobo. And it depends on the resolution of the image.
And I'm not trying to help you, I'm just telling you what at least Kepub format can do with Kobo, ymmv. it may be useful for others.
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I usually look at maps etc. on my tablet or laptop, while reading the book itself on my Kobo. But then I read mostly fiction, where any kind of images are few and far between. I'm certainly not going to print them out - far too much bother and I don't want the papers littering my apartment.

As to buying paper books, not if I can help it. But as I said, I read very little nonfiction, so usually have no need to.

I agree that image viewing is far from a good experience on eink. Especially with older editions (I have lots of ebooks bought a decade or so ago) where no version with good resolution can be found anywhere.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 09:39 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #20
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Well I circumvent by opening the book in the Calibre viewer and then print a screenshot on paper by the map. Much more convenient than going back and forth in the ebook.
Ooh, nice trick! I think I'll do similar by grabbing the image file from the ebook and sending it to my iPhone for quick reference.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
When I've had a single map I've wanted to refer to throughout a book, I have replaced the book cover with the map. A quick sleep shows the map, then wake to keep reading.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote