Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If those changes fix the issue for Windows, I will push them to master.
They fixed the issue for me on the machine I could reproduce it with.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #47
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I too confirm that the fix works.
Now only a single warning appears.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelIAK View Post
downloaded Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-arm64.txz (and Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-x86_64.txz
as well), and unzipped "normally".
Yet they both refuse to even start. As 2.3.0 and previous version of Sigil.
Such a pity. I'm on a Mac, running MacOS 12.7.6
You only need one of those not both.

The arm64 one will never run on an Intel mac. Is your mac a new SOC Arm64 mac or an older Intel (x86_64) Mac?

It works on a new Mac that never once had Sigil installed (as just tested on my wife's new MacBook Air) so it should work on yours.

So I need more info.

Did you download it from the official Sigil github release page?

How exactly did you unpack the archive? Did you double-click it?

What MacOS security settings do you have set? It says something like:
- "Only allow applications downloaded from the Mac App Store"
or
- "Allow applications downloaded from the Mac App Store and Identified Third Party Developers"

You need the second one of the above selected.
(See the attached screenshot for the exact wording.)

Exactly what happens when you double-click on the Sigil.app?

Can you please provide a screenshot of the error or warning that appears?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Privacy and Security Setting.png
Views:	17
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	210264  

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 05:25 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DiapDealer and @BeckyEbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I too confirm that the fix works.
Now only a single warning appears.
Great! I will push that fix to master.

Update: Fix now in master

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 05:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I see 1 of these when I launch Sigil from Calibre (Alt-E)
This is (properly) reporting bad content (titlepage and jacket) made by Calibre conversions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #51
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Strange. I couldn't reproduce the issue on my Virtual Windows 10 machines. But I WAS able to do so on a physical Windows 10 machine (only when double-clicking on the epub; just like Doitsu).

I'll test the code changes.
FWIW: I can't reproduce duplicate popups on my Win10 system no matter how I start Sigil and open the file. I tried:
  • Opening Doitsu's EPUB in Sigil via Windows Open With;
  • Dropping Doitsu's EPUB onto a shortcut to Sigil;
  • Starting Sigil and then opening Doitsu's EPUB;
  • Double clicking Doitsu's epub - after making Sigil the default handler for EPUB;
  • Opening an EPUB that was saved by calibre with Sigil directly or via calibre's built-in Open With… both will invariably generate this message.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, the code to show the warnings was being entered twice before the first time finished (while the first was waiting at the ok button to be pressed it allowed other events to be processed which in turn made the MainWindow to be activated, triggering the second).

So it is a race / timing issue that may or may not happen all of the time or even at all on some systems. My fix just prevents the race / timing issue from causing a problem.

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 08:34 PM.
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #53
RaelIAK
RaelIAK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for your reply.
I've already used Sigil, on this Mac, for at least a couple of years, without any issue. So Sigil ISN'T brand new on my Mac. Then, in the last month I wasn't able to use Sigil anymore (can't say if because of a new download version of Sigil, or for the security OS update my Mac had in the meanwhile).
Anyway, I delete any possible old Sigil related files, using App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
Downloaded the proper Sigil installer for my intel Mac (the Sigil.app-2.3.0-1-Mac-x86_64.txz) from https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/2.3.0).
Unzipped with double click on the file (having read I wouldn't need the Terminal command anymore, which is a good thing, since I couldn't remember where I got that advice), after having moved the .txz file to the desktop.
Moved the unzipped app in my Application folder.
I have Gatekeeper disabled, so that I can run any app I want, downloaded from everywhere.

When launching Sigil (either by double click that by ctrl+click) I'm presented a very fast verifying the app small panel (which disappear on its own), and the usual warning of any new app. I click on Ok, and then nothing happens.
Sigil freezes, and all I've got is the spinning wheel...
RaelIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@RaelIAK,

So there is no macOS crash report? No crash, just a spinning wheel? Have you tried just waiting a couple of minutes to see if a crash happens eventually. Mac OS crash reports are quite valuable in deciphering issues.

Does your system use multiple displays? If so, try powering down all but the main one.

Are you sure you have not corrupted the file permissions on your mac?

App Cleaner and Uninstaller are not software I would recommend in any way on a Mac. Mostly they are Adware.

Did you truly disabled SIP/Gatekeeper (again not recommended at all - unless you are a developer and understand unix security approaches) or did you just set your Privacy as I showed in my first reply?

Are you using a third party anti-malware/anti-virus application? Have you tried temporarily disabling that?

And finally have you tried removing all the old Sigil settings files to make sure they are not corrupted? To do that, try the following to start up with fresh preferences for Sigil.

Open Terminal.app and type the following commands:

cd
cd Library
cd Application*Support
cd sigil-ebook
cd sigil
mv sigil_v6.ini sigil_v6_ini.keep
mv sigil.ini sigil_ini.keep

Outside of trying those, I am not sure how I can help as your system setup is very non-standard if you truly disabled SIP/Gatekeeper (ie. your computer may have issues or be infected).

One other thing to try would be to create a new user on your system, log in as that new user, and try installing and running Sigil, just in case you are auto-launching something that is interfering with Sigil in your regular account.

Last edited by KevinH; Today at 07:57 AM.