Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #601
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So let's assume we use your:

So let's assume the customer paid $2.99 in the 1984 case. Amazon kept $0.897 + $0.30 and put $1.793 in the seller's account.

Amazon honors the takedown notice. They return the money to customer. So $2.99 - $2.99 = 0. So technically, Amazon received there "cut", but the cut was 0. They may have received a bigger cut if the seller sold other ebooks.

DNSB, it may time to reconsider that CFO dream.
Amazon, as the seller of the book, definitely took their cut and banked it. But they were later forced to give it back due to the fact that they had sold an illegitimate book. "Forced" could have been an internal management directive, or an external legal process - I am not privy to the details. But having to give back their cut does not mean that Amazon was not the seller, or that they did not take a cut in the first place. It just means that Amazon screwed up as seller and had to pay for their mistake.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 12:26 PM   #602
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You and I seem to very different in this respect. When I reread a book many years later, it is a different experience because I am different than I was when I read the book last time. Usually the difference is small, but occasionally it feels like I'm reading a different story. My memory is not great, so maybe that accounts for it. Anyway, re-reading offers me a window into my own personal changes over time, so I get something new I value from that.
No doubt there are many people like you. That's why I was pointing out the differences. The arrival of ebooks didn't really change my reading habits (other than being able to start reading books I wanted to read much quicker). I've never been much of a librarian/archivist. The act of reading is all I care about.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2024 at 03:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 02:59 PM   #603
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I believe book purchases are paid to Amazon. What Amazon does with the money after that (pay it to the seller?) is not our concern as consumers. And it was Amazon that removed the book from people's Kindles.
There are no "Kindle purchases." "Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider." When you buy a book you are merely paying for a revocable license.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 05:35 PM   #604
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Removing books from users' devices is a very shady policy.
No. Every manufacturer has a right to ensure its platform won't be used for piracy.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 06:08 PM   #605
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
There are no "Kindle purchases." "Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider." When you buy a book you are merely paying for a revocable license.
So they say.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 01:16 AM   #606
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
No. Every manufacturer has a right to ensure its platform won't be used for piracy.
Their store, yes. Users' devices, no.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote