Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 05:02 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Well, I have used Nooks for a long time. I’ve had many of them. I am not sure why everyone complains about Nook software. I put books on them and read.
Some people are just fussier and more demanding than others.

I've used a Nook. I could not get used to the software and eventually sold it. It was slow and had too few customization options for my taste. I'm fussy and want my text to look just right for me; for this purpose I need lots of options and the ability to sideload fonts. Kobo readers (heavily patched) satisfy my requirements; Kindles no longer do and Nooks don't either.

KOReader has other faults that made it unpleasant for me to use (no library manager and slowness with large books), so I don't use it.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 05:05 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Some people are just fussier and more demanding than others.

Or have different wants/needs. Or priorities. Biases. ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or have different wants/needs.
Well, if you have any needs beyond simply reading the book as it is, then you qualify as fussy in the opinion of many people here.

Personally, I'm certainly a fussy type even in my own opinion. Not in every area of life, but in several. As to ereaders, I was not really fussy until I started to try different brands; then I found I had specific wishes, of which I had not been aware before...

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 07:16 AM.
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, if you have any needs beyond simply reading the book as it is, then you qualify as fussy in the opinion of many people here.

Personally, I'm certainly a fussy type even in my own opinion. Not in every area of life, but in several. As to ereaders, I was not really fussy until I started to try different brands; then I found I had specific wishes, of which I had not been aware before...
Sure. But as you point out yourself, it is a combination of factors. If you were "fussy" about reading parameters that can be changed on the fly, you might pick koreader. If you are fussy about integration with calibre, you might pick Kobo. If you are fussy about symmetrical button design, you might pick a Nook. If you are fussy about the "best" screen, you might pick something else. ...

I wouldn't say you are fussy. What is fussy about wanting an ebook to look the way one wants? I would say it is common sense.
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #20
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Kobo readers (heavily patched) satisfy my requirements; Kindles no longer do and Nooks don't either.
I think it is the (heavily patched) part that has kept me from trying Kobo. Don't get me wrong, I like my ebooks a very particular way. Just the right font, just the right size, just the right line spacing, just the right margins. Nook happens to suit that better than Kindle did. However, every time I look in the Kobo forum, all I see are discussions about patches that sound too complicated for me and I get scared away. One of these days, I swear I am going to buy a Kobo. LOL
cgsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #21
Scoob
Scoob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage and Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
What is fussy about wanting an ebook to look the way one wants? I would say it is common sense.
I couldn't agree more. If you're going to be reading for a while it should be as comfortable as possible for your eyes. If that means you need your margins or line spacing or fonts for example just right, that's important. It's not like a printed book of one size fits all anymore. Now we're like Prince Adam "By the power of Grayskull. I have the Power(to change layout at my will and pleasure!)
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I think it is the (heavily patched) part that has kept me from trying Kobo. Don't get me wrong, I like my ebooks a very particular way. Just the right font, just the right size, just the right line spacing, just the right margins. Nook happens to suit that better than Kindle did. However, every time I look in the Kobo forum, all I see are discussions about patches that sound too complicated for me and I get scared away. One of these days, I swear I am going to buy a Kobo. LOL
FWIW, as I recall from my old Nook usage, a unpatched Kobo provides more choices for font size, line spacing, margins then a Nook. And you can side load fonts with a Kobo.
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
FWIW, as I recall from my old Nook usage, a unpatched Kobo provides more choices for font size, line spacing, margins then a Nook. And you can side load fonts with a Kobo.
Yes. You don't have to patch, it’s just a bonus. I did it, because it's pretty easy even for a person with no IT knowledge at all (like me), requires no rooting or jailbreaking and there's no danger of damaging your device. I found many of the patches useful. But patching is not necessary and there are plenty of Kobo users who never patch.