Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-11-2024, 09:04 PM   #3076
WovenTales
WovenTales began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
The issue is that the plugin is using a deprecated type name which has finally been removed in Python 3.12. If using the version on the Calibre download page (and its bundled Python 3.11) works for your personal system administration, great, use that since the community's hostile to native distro packaging. Otherwise, there's a patch posted in the plugin thread which works perfectly well.
WovenTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 09:24 PM   #3077
WovenTales
WovenTales began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I can't figure out how to edit my post, so sorry for the double message, but I wanted to do due diligence and acknowledge that nichobi also found the exact same issue and fix back in May. I didn't see that post until after I did my own digging into the Python release history and the plugin source code, but the fact that it was a known issue for that long, with such a straightforward fix, has contributed to my annoyance with the whole matter.
WovenTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 11:17 PM   #3078
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Going back to using Lotus Domino/Notes, I've run into quite a few programs that install their own private copies of dependency files. One was a ticketing program that was done in Python and Java. Updating either of those broke the original release so in the next release both Python and Java were installed with the program in it's directory so system Python and Java were not used. According to one of the programmers I chatted with, it cut their support calls by over ⅔.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 11:38 PM   #3079
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WovenTales View Post
The issue is that the plugin is using a deprecated type name which has finally been removed in Python 3.12. If using the version on the Calibre download page (and its bundled Python 3.11) works for your personal system administration, great, use that since the community's hostile to native distro packaging. Otherwise, there's a patch posted in the plugin thread which works perfectly well.
The community is not so much hostile to distro packaging as the community is getting tired of people who try to use distro installs which are sloppily built and try to save space by not including all of calibre dependencies. The common advice is to install the official version from calibre's download page which oddly enough seems to fix the issues 99% of the time.

Also note that Linux makes up 4.6% of the installed calibre base (Windows is 80.4% and MacOS 15%) and yet Linux users contribute about ~30% (a quick count) of install issues and most of those complaints are from distro installs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 03:27 AM   #3080
nerdy_knowledge
nerdy_knowledge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The community is not so much hostile to distro packaging as the community is getting tired of people who try to use distro installs which are sloppily built and try to save space by not including all of calibre dependencies.
I think this equals to the community being hostile to distro builds - which, with the explanation you've given, is completely understandable, btw. Anyway, my bad, I should've read the official pages before installing the distro build. Being rather new to Linux, coming from a Mac, I've learned my lesson now.
nerdy_knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 09:55 AM   #3081
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy_knowledge View Post
I think this equals to the community being hostile to distro builds - which, with the explanation you've given, is completely understandable, btw. Anyway, my bad, I should've read the official pages before installing the distro build. Being rather new to Linux, coming from a Mac, I've learned my lesson now.
It isn't so much 'hostile', as Ugh! another one that needs saving from the distro mess (some is just caused by the 'We Know better crowd' that had a specific goal and did not test fully with the rest of the distro packages).

But, the most simple reason to use the official: Many distro packages are Frozen at time of release and don't get the bi-weekly updates
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 12:08 AM   #3082
Steven Karp
Enthusiast
Steven Karp began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Tablet / Calibre or Nexus 9 / Moon+
And let us not forget that there is no system Python in Windows. There are, I imagine, a few Windows users. ;-)
Steven Karp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #3083
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread belongs in the Kobo Utilities plugin thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #3084
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This thread belongs in the Kobo Utilities plugin thread.
Moderator Notice
Done as requested
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins