Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
2. Should be banned across the planet. A really stupid format that follows no logic.
Sales by Month comparisons
But I agree, for normal use ISO, because it sorts correctly as text or date
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
AA/BB/CC is the worst, especially for dates in the range 2001 - 2012.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
2. Should be banned across the planet. A really stupid format that follows no logic.
It's more logical then 3. 3. Is really a bad idea.

When you say a date out loud, do you say 1st August or do you say August 1st?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #19
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
do you say 1st August or do you say August 1st?
I say 1st of August.

Quote:
It's more logical then 3. 3. Is really a bad idea.
No it's not.
When conveying information, it would be considered normal to pass on that information in a structured and logical format- normally written in order from most specific to general. Think of street addresses. Most specific is the street number, to least specific being the country. Same with dates. Most specific, which is the day, to least specific which is the year.
The silly American way mixes that up.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:03 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I say 1st of August.

No it's not.
When conveying information, it would be considered normal to pass on that information in a structured and logical format- normally written in order from most specific to general. Think of street addresses. Most specific is the street number, to least specific being the country. Same with dates. Most specific, which is the day, to least specific which is the year.
The silly American way mixes that up.
It's because of #3 that I have to do August 1, 2024. Otherwise, you (and others) might thing I mean January 8, 204 when I write (correctly) 08/01/2024. This is why #3 should go away as it causes no end of trouble for writing dates in numeric form.
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It's because of #3 that I have to do August 1, 2024. Otherwise, you (and others) might thing I mean January 8, 204 when I write (correctly) 08/01/2024. This is why #3 should go away as it causes no end of trouble for writing dates in numeric form.
Re-read what you wrote and consider USA is less than 5% of people.

It's because of the stupid USA system that I frequently don't know what date is used. Hence I use YYYY-MM-DD when I remember.

The 08/01/2024 is wrong for 2024-08-01 in most of the world. It's no more correct to claim it should be 1/8/2004. Both are REGIONAL variations.
As are Color, and Colour, or °F vs °C, or A4 vs USA Letter size.
See also USA gallon and UK Imperial Gallon (The Metric system was adopted in 1799 in France and added to by the British).

Or one of several USA cup measures vs Imperial and Japanese. They are regional variations that cause errors and confusion.
Recipes should use grams for solid and millilitres for liquid.

The USA systems are neither correct nor wrong, but outdated and obsolete. Since increasing world wide publishing and communication starting in the late 19th C. they cause confusion outside the USA. It's cultural imperialism to claim dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy are correct.
NASA even lost a Mars probe because of them.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 05:40 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:39 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric...ems_(2019).svg

USA is less than 5% of World population.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 PM   #23
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
USA is less than 5% of World population.
Yeah, but we don't act like it!

Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Re-read what you wrote and consider USA is less than 5% of people.

It's because of the stupid USA system that I frequently don't know what date is used. Hence I use YYYY-MM-DD when I remember.

The 08/01/2024 is wrong for 2024-08-01 in most of the world. It's no more correct to claim it should be 1/8/2004. Both are REGIONAL variations.
As are Color, and Colour, or °F vs °C, or A4 vs USA Letter size.
See also USA gallon and UK Imperial Gallon (The Metric system was adopted in 1799 in France and added to by the British).

Or one of several USA cup measures vs Imperial and Japanese. They are regional variations that cause errors and confusion.
Recipes should use grams for solid and millilitres for liquid.

The USA systems are neither correct nor wrong, but outdated and obsolete. Since increasing world wide publishing and communication starting in the late 19th C. they cause confusion outside the USA. It's cultural imperialism to claim dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy are correct.
NASA even lost a Mars probe because of them.
I'm not going by a personal preference. I'm going by what makes more sense. August st makes more sense then 1st of August and in that case 08/01/2024 makes more sense then 01/08/2024.

However, I do agree that 2024-08-01 should be used worldwide.

And if your argument for the date format is because it's less used, then when is the UK going from left side driving to right side driving?

Last edited by JSWolf; Today at 05:54 PM.
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #25
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Edit: Well, I thought that they might have just been a newb.

Last edited by Renate; Today at 09:02 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #26
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm not going by a personal preference. I'm going by what makes more sense.
Sorry to say but that IS personal preference. You cannot tell me that your method of August 8 makes more sense than 8 August.
You guys with that silly date variation are definitely in the minority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ats_by_country

And what's with the bs about left -v- right side driving. I am pretty sure what you are stating is some form of silly prejudice.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I recently had an interesting issue with expiration dates.

At the end of June I'd bought some premade meat pies. For some reason the people I'm staying with took a look at the packaging and the expiration dates. Those dates read JU-04. Now is that June 4th or July 4th?

I did some investigation and found the Canadian standards for expiration dates which in fact list JN as the abbreviation for June and JL for July!

I got in touch with the grocery store who reached out to the manufacturer who clarified that the expiry date was July 4th.

I have of course suggested to them that they might like to follow the government standard and use JL04 (or JN04).

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote