Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2024, 06:01 PM   #661
sphilip
sphilip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Not sure what you mean about not being able to choose 32 or 64 bit for the Bluestacks instance. Switching to 32-bit Nougat is how I finally was able to get a backup.ab from Kindle for Android 4.16.0.75. Then I simply used the included file app to export my books to Windows. But that version isn't downloading new books anymore. I haven't attempted to update to a newer Android version since other easier methods are working.
What I said, essentially.

If you go to the Bluestacks site and download the Bluestackers installer, if you have a 32-bit OS, it installs the 32-bit version.

If you have a 64-bit OS, it installs the 64-bit version. What it doesn't do is let you choose.

If you manually download the 32-bit "offline" installer, it will stop you and won't install that on a 64-bit OS, and direct you to the other installer.

I can't say if it's changed since you tried it, or if you perhaps have 32-bit Windows installed to begin with, but if you're running 64-bit there isn't a way to "install the 32-bit version of Bluestacks", so to speak. So that advice won't assist folks stuck with that problem.

Last edited by sphilip; 09-19-2024 at 06:06 PM.
sphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 06:10 PM   #662
sphilip
sphilip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just realized you mean when creating the virtual Android instance, this whole time I was trying to install the 32-bit version of Bluestacks, the program! Sorry.

It does seem like they've still blocked root access to the data folder though, which is a bummer.
sphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 05:00 AM   #663
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I know that getting a useful backup.ab is only possible on the really old Android app. (One that can have the key extracted from it.) Amazon blocked that on later versions. Accessing where the books are stored isn't an issue. Just that Amazon has now blocked new books from downloading to the old app. I haven't messed with it since that happened. At least at the moment, other much easier methods are working.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 05:12 PM   #664
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
So does the Kindle for Android method still work for anyone? I.e., should I remove it as an option on the Dealing with Kindle ebooks in calibre thread?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 05:24 PM   #665
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
So does the Kindle for Android method still work for anyone? I.e., should I remove it as an option on the Dealing with Kindle ebooks in calibre thread?
It still works when using 8.51 on Bluestacks. What may not work anymore is getting it setup.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 05:34 PM   #666
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It still works for me here.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 01:20 AM   #667
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Okay, thanks DuckieTigger and DNSB. I'll leave it in.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote