Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #1
davidhcje
Connoisseur
davidhcje began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Question How to add edition information to metadata

Some books have multiple editions. I don't know how to add edition information to their metadata. Anyone help?
davidhcje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What sort of information do you want to add? Just the ISBN? Something else?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Separate book records for separate editions?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Separate book records for separate editions?
Yes, they will not be the same content, unless it's just different paper sizes (which must have different ISBN).
A paper edition ISBN isn't the ebook either. An ebook doesn't need an ISBN, but if it has one it must be unique to that ebook.

ISBNs are mainly for retail physical book shops to order, and secondarily for libraries of physical books to indicate edition. A library using barcodes doesn't use the ISBN as it may have more than one copy of the same edition. The library management barcode (being replaced by RFIDs) tracks a particular copy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Even a cover change SHOULD cause a new ISBN to be used.
It is not just paper size.
Almost any Change (except typo fixes) and reprinting using the exact same layout (plates): 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (you have all seen this pattern on the copyright page )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Almost any Change (except typo fixes) and reprinting using the exact same layout (plates): 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (you have all seen this pattern on the copyright page )
Oh, so that's what those numbers are for! I thought it was some testing thing.
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Even a cover change SHOULD cause a new ISBN to be used.
It is not just paper size.
Yes.
So I don't care about ISBNs in Calibre. If I ever catalogue my paper library I'll use an ISBN (if there is one, maybe 1/4 books are pre-ISBN) with a scanner on the computer just once to save typing in the title. I'll save the ISBN anyway and either program an RFID or print a serial number ID barcode not using EAN/UPC/ISBN.

I've been meaning to do it for over 25 years, so likely I won't bother. More concerned about finding new homes for them (3000+) than re-reading. Some are over 100 yo good condition HB. A pristine set of Rudyard Kipling published before he wrote Puck of Pook's Hill. A pre-1930s "Alice" is very poor. Illustrated by Dudley Jarrett, who IMO is not as good as earlier illustrators. Though it was maybe bought in mid 1930s. No dates in it. It has my mum's name in pencil on the rear inside cover, but it could have belonged to someone else of the same name, such as my dad's step-mother.
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes.
So I don't care about ISBNs in Calibre. If I ever catalogue my paper library I'll use an ISBN (if there is one, maybe 1/4 books are pre-ISBN) with a scanner on the computer just once to save typing in the title. I'll save the ISBN anyway and either program an RFID or print a serial number ID barcode not using EAN/UPC/ISBN.
Alfa ISBN Scanner is an option if you use a smartphone with Android.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhcje View Post
Some books have multiple editions. I don't know how to add edition information to their metadata. Anyone help?
If you mean different editions of something like the Chicago Manual of Style, I append the edition numbers to the title, and link the books with calibre://book-details URLs in a Links/#links custom column.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Alfa ISBN Scanner is an option if you use a smartphone with Android.
Not much use for a barcode scanner plugged into a laptop or desktop PC. I was showing someone last week why their Android phone's barcode scanner (on its own) was no use for stock control.

Thanks.
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you mean different editions of something like the Chicago Manual of Style, I append the edition numbers to the title, and link the books with calibre://book-details URLs in a Links/#links custom column.

BR
Yes, anything like that is a good plan. Really different editions need a separate Calibre record.

Tags
edition, metadata, question