Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #1
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 9
Conversion flow for Manga on Libra 2

What's the best way to read Manga on the Libra 2 in 2024?
  1. Manually copy CBZs directly to device
  2. Kindle comic converter (KCC) which appears to output to kebup, then manually copy to device
  3. KCC then Calibre, then send to device via KoboTouchExtended (KTE)
  4. Something else?

I tried KCC first for .cbz -> .kepub, then copied into Calibre, and KTE still converted the files despite it seeming like they already should be in kepub format so I'm not sure what's going on there (e.g., if this step is redundant now).

And along with conversion, how are folks doing metadata, especially for larger collections?

My goal is to simplify my workflow, and to use the full screen (e.g., stretch/upscale).

Thanks all for any advice!

Last edited by mgrimace; Yesterday at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added clearer goal
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Conversion flow for Manga on Libra 2

When I used to buy manga from Kindle all the time, I would use Calibre to do my converting. KCC is best for converting manga for consumption on a Kindle. Since I needed Calibre to strip Kindle DRM, there was no point to me involving another app in the process.

When I buy HumbleBundle comic/manga collections, I use Calibre to fix the metadata. (HB is so sloppy.) I do no conversion.

You don’t need to convert CBZ to kepub.

For what it’s worth, I don’t do much conversion anymore since Amazon made their DRM changes. I just buy manga directly from Kobo. When sideloading, however, if the comic or manga is in CBZ, I load that directly into my Kobo. If it’s epub, I load that directly into my Kobo instead.

There was a time I wanted everything to be the same format in Calibre for aesthetic reasons, but both EPUB and CBZ are zip wrappers, so I’d rather spend time reading than being tidy.

I’m not sure how to answer your metadata question other than I select a bunch of manga and edit their metadata en masse if they’re in the same series. Can you give us more details?

Last edited by Cootey; Yesterday at 04:37 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #3
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

You don’t need to convert CBZ to kepub.

I’m not sure how to answer your metadata question other than I select a bunch of manga and edit their metadata en masse if they’re in the same series. Can you give us more details?
Thanks so much for your reply! It does look like direct CBZ works just fine.

Just using KCC and sideloading the output files (.kepub) are not recognized by the device. So scratch that.

However, KCC with Libra 2 selected and stretch/upscale partially-checked PLUS Calibre Kepub conversion via KTE makes the Manga pages fill the full screen (which is a nice feature).

Tl;dr the options are sideload CBZ directly (easy), or use KCC to convert to epub + Calibre KTE to send to device (full-screen).

Re. Metadata, I can bulk-edit and add author, title, but volume numbers, etc are a bit of a chore especially for manga where I have tons of volumes like One Piece. Kind of like managing series for books, but the title is all the same which makes it a bit trickier if that makes sense. My kids are into Manga, and it’s all new to me how to manage/organize it vs., books!
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
Just using KCC and sideloading the output files (.kepub) are not recognized by the device. So scratch that.
You would need to use the full extension of .kepub.epub not a naked .kepub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
However, KCC with Libra 2 selected and stretch/upscale partially-checked PLUS Calibre Kepub conversion via KTE makes the Manga pages fill the full screen (which is a nice feature).
My daughter reads quite a bit of manga and uses a mix of CBZ and kepub in calibre. If the output from KCC is .kepub, even the KoboTouch driver will rename from filename.kepub to filename.kepub.epub when sending to a Kobo.

When it comes to names, she uses the manga name as the series name with the volume number as the series index. On her Kobo, they would show up as:

Demon Slayer
Demon Slayer - 13
Gotoge
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, libra, manga