Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 05:48 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Huh!! On the other hand, I really enjoyed Mort and really didn't like Small Gods.
I too liked Mort better then Small Gods.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #77
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But, having thrown various quotes out there, I think they demonstrate another reason why some readers might not enjoy his work. Some people don't much like Charles Dickens, because they find his work to be too preachy, that the themes and morals are too obvious in his work. I think the same might be said of Terry Pratchett; there is little doubt as to his values. Certainly there are things that he acknowledges as ambiguous, but there are things that obviously spark his emotions and these are often quite clear in the books.

Just sayin'.
I read The Colour of Magic very long ago and laughed like a maniac all the way through.

Several years later, remembering that book, I tried to return to the series, trying different books. But I didn't find them particularly funny and even worse: I found them very preachy, as you note here.

So is there some particular reading order, or plain list of books, that would be optimal for someone willing to get back into reading the Discworld novels with the minimal amount of preachiness?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:35 AM   #78
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
[...] So is there some particular reading order, or plain list of books, that would be optimal for someone willing to get back into reading the Discworld novels with the minimal amount of preachiness?
This guide has been referenced previously, it may help understand what I say below: Reading Guide.

As should be obvious, this is all opinion. I don't expect everyone (or anyone?) to agree with my list.

The Rincewind novels (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, The Last Continent) emphasise humour. You might want to skip Interesting Times.

The first couple of Watch novels might work for you, but the moral themes gets pretty strong from Feet of Clay on.

Also try Moving Pictures and Pyramids.

I do like all these but they tend toward parody and farce which is not something I favour.

If you have no objection to books for younger readers, you might try the Tiffany Aching books, and the non-Discworld Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings). Certainly these have strong moral themes, but as books for younger readers you may find that it works anyway: seems to me that kids' books and moral themes tend to go together. (Plus any chance to mention the often overlooked Bromeliad trilogy is a worth taking. I find it a wonderful epic in miniature, even if it is meant for children.)

If any of what I have listed (other than the kids' books) still seem excessively preachy in tone then I would suggest you resign yourself to being someone that doesn't like Pratchett's style. It happens. It says nothing negative about you or Pratchett. ( There is a quote I like from A.A. Milne about people who don't like The Wind in the Willows, but I wouldn't take it to heart. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote