Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-03-2024, 07:46 PM   #76
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmn View Post
Sorry to hear that. It's a difficult book to get through. Not because of the writing but the topic. It's a depressing subject and it's message is timely (although, the message can be considered "timely" at any time in human history) which can frighten more than horror novels.

Nevertheless, I found it to be one of the best books of 2023 and will probably read it again in a couple of years. I also found his prose to be engaging given it's sparse, relentless, stream-of consciousness style.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the goal of reading prize winners for the reason they won a prize...have you considered another Booker Prize winner which is a bit lighter in tone than Lynch's offering? Like Anita Brookner's Hotel du Lac from 1984. It's not "up-beat" but, at least, it's not dystopian.
For me, it was the writing. I don't recall DNFing a book due to topic. I really enjoyed Life of Pi, and as I recall, I liked The Remains of the Day.

I'll continue reading the winners, I'm just going to give them a little lower priority.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:00 PM   #77
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9", iPhone 13 Pro, Kobo Sage 32gb, Kindle Paperwhite
One of the worst books I dnf'd was The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent.

It was free on Audible and at first I started to enjoy it until he got weirdly cartoonishly libertarian and I quit it shortly after. I don't care that he's a gun toting, Don't Tread on Me right winger. The digs on liberals, which I can usually take, were just plain bad. Not my type of humor.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #78
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9", iPhone 13 Pro, Kobo Sage 32gb, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I just read The Road, and his tenuous grasp on punctuation is obnoxious, indeed.
That bothered me for a good five minutes and then I proceeded to devour that book. Acquired taste, for sure.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote