Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #2926
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are some series where they should have stopped after the first book.
Before the first book.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #2927
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Before the first book.
A perfect example of that is Ian M. Banks with his Culture series. The first book is abysmal. It starts off pretty good and goes downhill and ends up being abysmal overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 AM   #2928
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A perfect example of that is Ian M. Banks with his Culture series. The first book is abysmal. It starts off pretty good and goes downhill and ends up being abysmal overall.
Hah. I think a number of people might disagree with you on that one.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #2929
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Hah. I think a number of people might disagree with you on that one.

Andrew
And they'd be wrong too. I read the book for a book club and hardly anyone liked it.
Old Today, 05:04 AM   #2930
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Luckily I started with the second one, which was great. The Culture is just a set of stories in a shared setting, not an actual serial. Kind of like Discworld, which also had a weak opener.

I try to limit myself to one book ahead in series. It's hard to stick to that when there are bundles and omnibuses, but it does mean I'm only one book down if the series jumps the shark. And also that I don't sink a lot of money into something I might not read for years.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:56 AM   #2931
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Luckily I started with the second one, which was great. The Culture is just a set of stories in a shared setting, not an actual serial. Kind of like Discworld, which also had a weak opener.

I try to limit myself to one book ahead in series. It's hard to stick to that when there are bundles and omnibuses, but it does mean I'm only one book down if the series jumps the shark. And also that I don't sink a lot of money into something I might not read for years.
Not at all like Discworld. Discworld is a true series with charters that evolve as series goes on.