Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Why have you purchased public-domain eBooks?
Better formatting 13 38.24%
Better translation 18 52.94%
Additional things (front matter, annotations, artwork) 15 44.12%
By mistake (e.g. didn't realize it was PD) 1 2.94%
Other (specify) 6 17.65%
I haven't purchased public-domain eBooks. 4 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 03:54 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is that the compatible ePub, the Kobo kepub.epub or the advanced ePub? I haven't seen any issues with a compatible ePub on a Kobo as an ePub nor with a kepub.epub on a Kobo as a kepub using the WebKit based renderer. I have only tried an advanced ePub on Thorium and they work quite well there. You did read the warning beside the Advanced ePub download link? The one that reads "An advanced format that uses the latest technology not yet fully supported by most ereaders."

Yes, the styles tend to be quite complex but OTOH, damn few people even Mobileread members, ever look at the styles. And, yes, Standard eBooks uses ePub3 as their basic format. Considering that the original ePub3 spec was released in 2011, it is perhaps time to stop insisting that all ebooks being in ePub2 format in necessary.

Not everyone still wants to format an ebook for ADE 2. And oddly, testing on my Kobo, the version of RMSDK used by Kobo does seem to treat any ePub2 or ePub3 property that it does not implement or has an invalid value as a null operation as the ePub spec requires. After all, they are not errors such as leaving off the ; at the end of a property/value line or the } at the end of a selector. As usual, cascade and specificity also apply.
These eBooks don't need to be fully ePub2. But they don't need t use such overly complicated code on such simple formatting, There's no reason old ADE should have an issue. I did take one of their eBooks that failed with ADE and redid the code. It was then very simple code that works where their code fails.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote