Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 05:56 AM   #1
foosion
Zealot
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Font size

The font size looks much smaller on the book I'm reading than all of the previous books I've read on my Kobo. The settings in koboereader.conf have not changed, just how large the words appear on screen. I have to increase the font size setting to make the words look the same size as on other books.

The book is a kepub converted by Calibre from an epub.

How can I fix this? I'd rather not be changing the font settings on my Kobo for different books. I'm guessing I should be editing the book's CSS, but I don't know how to do this.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Two possible reasons:

1. The base font size between kepubs and epubs is different; this can be fixed with a patch

2. The smaller size is specified in the book css (a common enough occurrence); this can only be fixed by editing the css. I use the calibre editor for this, some folks use Sigil.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #3
foosion
Zealot
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Two possible reasons:

1. The base font size between kepubs and epubs is different; this can be fixed with a patch

2. The smaller size is specified in the book css (a common enough occurrence); this can only be fixed by editing the css. I use the calibre editor for this, some folks use Sigil.
1. I haven't had this issue with any other book, so this does not seem the problem.

2. What do I look for and change in the css? Assume I know nothing about css.

Last edited by foosion; Today at 10:48 AM.
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
2. What do I look for and change in the css?
After you open the book in the editor, you can see the file browser (displaying the files in the book), the code editor and the preview. Open any file with ordinary text (i.e. not the cover or the TOC etc.) and look at the paragraph class in the code editor. You should see something like <p class="indent">, <p class="para-p"> and so on, there are hundreds of variants. Sometimes it's not a p, but a div. In short, look at what code an ordinary paragraph uses. Then open the css file and look for that code there. If you see any font-size smaller than 1em under that paragraph class, delete it (the whole row - like, font-size: 0.8em or font-size: small. You can use Search & Replace to bulk delete all instances of that abnormal size from the css file. You should see the text get larger in the preview window after this. If everything seems ok, save and close the editor.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 10:57 AM.
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
After you open the book in the editor, you can see the file browser (displaying the files in the book), the code editor and the preview. Open any file with ordinary text (i.e. not the cover or the TOC etc.) and look at the paragraph class in the code editor. You should see something like <p class="indent">, <p class="para-p"> and so on, there are hundreds of variants. Sometimes it's not a p, but a div. In short, look at what code an ordinary paragraph uses. Then open the css file and look for that code there. If you see any font-size smaller than 1em under that paragraph class, delete it (the whole row - like, font-size: 0.8em or font-size: small. You can use Search & Replace to bulk delete all instances of that abnormal size from the css file. You should see the text get larger in the preview window after this. If everything seems ok, save and close the editor.
The first thing to do to make editing the CSS easier is (in the editor) go Tools > Remove unused CSS rules. Most eBooks have excess CSS. Sometimes it's rather a lot of excess CSS. Then you'll be left with just what's actually used in the CSS.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first thing to do to make editing the CSS easier is (in the editor) go Tools > Remove unused CSS rules. Most eBooks have excess CSS. Sometimes it's rather a lot of excess CSS. Then you'll be left with just what's actually used in the CSS.
Yes, that too, of course.
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #7
foosion
Zealot

Quote:
That did it. I removed all smaller than 1em (other than those marked copyright).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did that too.

Old Today, 12:03 PM   #8
foosion
Zealot

Quote:
Yes, that too, of course.
Of course only if one has a clue.

Any other "of course" moves to be made?
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Of course only if one has a clue.

Any other "of course" moves to be made?
Yeah, I forgot to put it in my post.

Not that I remember, no (which doesn't mean much, as my memory is obviously not all it should be ). Personally I also delete ads, excerpts from other books and other such pointless stuff before I start editing the code, but YMMV.
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #10
foosion
Zealot

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to put it in my post.

Not that I remember, no (which doesn't mean much, as my memory is obviously not all it should be ). Personally I also delete ads, excerpts from other books and other such pointless stuff before I start editing the code, but YMMV.
Not a bad idea, although it may be easier to skip those things than to edit the file, unless you plan to read the book more than once.

YMMV.

FWIW, I'm listening to an audiobook of Wolf Hall, which mentions that Cromwell had a fantastic memory due to memory training in Italy.

Last edited by foosion; Today at 12:18 PM.