Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-01-2024, 03:09 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
This is not entirely accurate.

Leaving aside Dropbox in particular, the root problem is that multiple instances of an open database file on replicated or shared storage will result in corruption. Instance 1 writes, replication system replicates, but Instance 2 does not know that the file is changed so it writes and damages the file. This damage is replicated back to Instance 1's filesystem but Instance 1 does not know of these changes so it writes and causes further damage. The more times this happens, the more damage is done.

Dropbox in particular may have additional problems. I don't use it so I don't know. I do use Syncthing, being careful to avoid Calibre concurrency, and it has been fine for many years.
Very well said.

Another example is someone with Google Drive. The active library gets synced to Google Drive and then corrupted and synced back and the active library then become corrupted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 12:24 PM   #32
pypeke
Connoisseur
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
[*]NO! You should never use the Dropbox sync software on your libraries. Use FreeFileSync to copy your libraries to the Dropbox directory and then let the sync software do it's thing. That way if something becomes corrupted, you won't lose your existing library.[*]Do not ever let the sync software touch your active libraries.[*]See #2.[*]If your Dropbox backed up library does become corrupted, you'll be syncing the corruption back to your active library.
I am curious about your answer #2...You said "your active libraries".

So, why would/should I have multiple active libraries? I am just starting on Calibre so I don't know why you may want multiple active libraries. All I have is one library. Thanks.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 12:31 PM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypeke View Post
I am curious about your answer #2...You said "your active libraries".

So, why would/should I have multiple active libraries? I am just starting on Calibre so I don't know why you may want multiple active libraries. All I have is one library. Thanks.
If you feel no need for multiple libraries, then don't make any.

People have multiple libraries for different reasons. Some manage libraries for their family members and each member has their own library; some want to keep fiction and nonfiction apart; some want to keep PDF and regular ebooks apart; some want to have a separate library for editing, while others do this in their main library.

I have one main library and a relatively small subset of this library in a separate physical library, which I use to manage my Kobo readers. I do it this way because I like to have my authors as Last Name, First Name, but my Kobos want them as First Name Last Name; there are also a few other reasons (it's easier to manage my ereaders with a smaller number of books in the library), so I do it this way. I could do it also with metadata plugboards and virtual libraries, but I just like keeping one smaller separate physical library for connecting to my Kobos better.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-30-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote