Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old Today, 01:21 PM   #9826
Wolgan
Enthusiast
Wolgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Email ParsingPerformance Bug? Maybe?

I use a lot of email subscriptions to keep up to date on stories, and I've noticed that when I use the Get Story URLs from Email option, it seems to take significantly longer to parse RoyalRoad notifications than any other. It'll speed through 10-15 emails in as many seconds, then sit at a single Royal Road email notification for upwards of 30 seconds.

I had let my notifications build up for quite a while, and had a few hundred for it to go through, and watching as messages ticked over to Read in my mailbox as FFF scanned through them it was very consistent (and fascinating, in a nerdish sort of way). 1-2 seconds per email (at most), until it hits an RR email, then it would hang for a relatively long time.

I'm happy to pack some of the emails up and/or forward to you if it'll help.

Potentially useful info:
  • Using dedicated gmail mailbox for notifications.
  • Incoming stories are tagged with the "Story Updates" label by gmail rules on receipt.
  • Other sites that I get notification for that do not have this issue include: StoriesOnline (via feedrabbit.com rss-to-email service), AO3, fanfiction.net, and hentaifoundry.

Screenshot of my FFF email settings

This is minor, as I usually just work on other stuff while it pulls emails, so low priority/impact (for me anyway).

edit: I dug into the email and I see RR is using custom links that have to be translated/resolved to actual story urls. That would explain the delay and I can't think of any obvious way to get around it. I think I'll start shuffling those off to a different folder/label and manually calling for updates directly from the existing stories in Calibre. I don't have too many of those anyway.

Last edited by Wolgan; Today at 01:35 PM.
Wolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #9827
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
If you delete everything in personal.ini, the default example will be copied in. I do not recommend copying defaults.ini.

Each library has it's own FFF settings. Changes in one do not affect any other libraries.

For example, I have a copy of libraries used just for testing different FFF settings.
Oh, that's good to know about both the resetting the personal.ini and different settings for libraries, it makes me feel better about experimenting.

I think I need to go back to the metadata management for fanfic to try and work out what exactly I need to see in my library and what custom columns I need to create.

In preparation, I'm hoping that someone might know how to deal with a situation where an author has several series arcs that all follow each other. When sorting by series, they are not sorted in the arc order, but by series. I would like to see my collection sorted by fandom, author and series, and for the series arcs to be sorted correctly. I don't think that's what the multiseries is for - that's more for one fic belonging to several series, correct? How do I achieve what I need?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #9828
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolgan View Post
edit: I dug into the email and I see RR is using custom links that have to be translated/resolved to actual story urls. That would explain the delay and I can't think of any obvious way to get around it. I think I'll start shuffling those off to a different folder/label and manually calling for updates directly from the existing stories in Calibre. I don't have too many of those anyway.
Yeah, that's special code for RR. I'm a bit surprised I put that in. Somebody may have contributed it--or nagged especially hard for it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction