Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Today, 05:48 AM   #16
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m610 View Post
Please cut me some slack. This is my first ebook project and I am learning it all sitting here by myself at my desk.
Yep, sure no problems. That is exactly how I started out 4+ years ago, and just like you, ended up here.

But do provide what is asked for which is the quickest way to get help.

The epub is malformed because you have deleted html sheets, so without some major editing, we can't test this on a Kindle. (why don't you just scramble the book and give it to us complete?)

So, a couple of comments...

1. Don't use <br/> as a spacer. It is not meant to be used that way. Either use a <p>&nbsp;</p> or a class="parabreak" that will force a space.

2. Why do you have your stylesheet in your html file? I assume you have the stylesheet repeated in every html file? Create one stylesheet the same way you created the font.css file.

3. Some paragraphs have a line return after the opening tag, others don't. You should keep it consistent. (without the line return)

4. TOC should have it's own file, or even better is use the ncx file, instead of an in-line toc.

6. Don't leave spaces in filenames. eBook Version of BFAD.htm should be eBook_Version_of_BFAD.htm. Also, the extension should be .html or even better - .xhtml

7. Maybe use epub3?

8. Good practice to use <h(1-6)> tags for your headings.

Hope that gives you some pointers.

Last edited by Karellen; Today at 05:50 AM.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Karellen - elsewhere the OP mentions using Wordperfect ==>> My First Conversion Attempt

If that thread is related to this one its likely the EPUB code stems from WP.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #18
m610
m610 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11
I wrote the book using WordPerfect, (I've been using WP since DOS days.) and was about to go to print when I decided to try creating an ebook version as well. I steadied myself for a challenging adventure, figuring I'd be starting from scratch, but then I noticed WP could export as a EPUB document. I tried it, and using Calibre I started reviewing it. I made a lot of changes, mostly to clean up the code, but other than that it all seemed to have gone well. The previews of the epub and azw3 files in calibre looked great, but on the kindle, some things did not come through, like the images in question here, and fonts. Perhaps it is the first few lines in the main document file that is causing this:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
Just guessing, but maybe my Kindle sees this and this and says, "Oh, that was before we supported fonts, etc, so I'll use default fonts."

That still would not explain why some, but not all, images are not displayed correctly.
m610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #19
m610

This is what one such image looks like in Calibre's viewer. The width of the image and captions are the same. On my Kindle the image extends to the margins.

Old Today, 12:58 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Welcome to the world of Individual manufactures
(Each does it their way )

Calibres viewer and previewer are very forgiving and allow most things that are fine in a web page, but not on various ereaders.

Some publishers make different versions JUST BECAUSE they want a look and have to work tricks to get it.
Others dumb it down as a compromise, so it just basically works on a variety of devices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #21
m610

I figured that was the case when I started shopping for an e-reader and they were all listing which files formatted they supported. Maybe I should have just stuck with creating an Acrobat PDF file.
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I figured that was the case when I started shopping for an e-reader and they were all listing which files formatted they supported. Maybe I should have just stuck with creating an Acrobat PDF file.
Know your audience. Is this a coffee table book, where a large tablet will be use (also great where great COLOR is wanted).?

PDF locks the document. If the device does not allow movement <->
then lots of customers will be lost .

EPUB reflows to fit the words on the screen into however many lines it takes to get them done.

What is more important? The Visual Presentation or the Content.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The book is pretty much a mess. All the chapters in a single file with the styles in style tags. The fonts were not correctly located in the css. Correcting that helped the ePub but not the azw3. I added h2/h3 headers to allow generating the ToC automatically and removed the embedded Linotype font body font.

After a quick and dirty cleanup on the file, I've attached the ePub and azw3 versions here.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:06 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I wrote the book using WordPerfect, (I've been using WP since DOS days.) and was about to go to print when I decided to try creating an ebook version as well.
. . .
Did you use WP's Styles, or style each paragraph individually?

David's reply suggests the latter. In-line styling is a no-no for DOCX->EPUB conversions, I would imagine the same would hold true for creating EPUBs in WP.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote