Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #1
Himbeer
eBook unreader
Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Basic (8th Gen, 2016, KT3)
Smile Doom for touchscreen Kindles

Ever wanted to play Doom on your Kindle?
No?
Either way, here is a Doom port with touch controls for jailbroken Kindles (currently only tested on KT3):

Controls:

Click image for larger version

Name:	controls.png
Views:	410
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	200902

Installation:
Like any other KUAL extension
  • Jailbreak your Kindle
  • Install the KUAL extension by unzipping the GitHub release into the extensions folder on your Kindle.
  • Put your doom.wad into the folder of this extension (the doom.wad contains the copyrighted game data and can't be redistributed, but you can find it online)
  • Launch using KUAL
  • To exit, press the ESC on-screen button, select "Quit Game", then Enter, then Y (see below for the button locations)

Supported devices:
  • KT3
  • Probably other 800x600 touch Kindles
  • High resolution devices like the Paperwhite are currently not supported

Background info:
Framebuffer display and dither code based on gmplay and Doom port based on doomgeneric.
For compilation I used this Docker container.

You can find the source code here: GitHub (for your own eyes sake, you should not look at it, my C skills are awful)
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-touch-doom-1.0.0.zip (192.2 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Himbeer; 10-05-2023 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Add better instructions
Himbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:00 PM   #2
Himbeer
eBook unreader
Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Himbeer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also uploaded a demo video on Tiktok here: https://www.tiktok.com/@himbeerme/vi...68167392365851

and on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuFgqiyEUXI

Last edited by Himbeer; 10-05-2023 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:40 PM   #3
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Finally...!!
A MADLAD DID IT!

The touchscreen Kindles can now, indeed run Doom...!!
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:14 AM   #4
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Damn, I only have Paperwhites.. LMK if you need a tester for PW2, PW3 or PW5 resolutions.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:07 AM   #5
Himbeer
eBook unreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
Damn, I only have Paperwhites.. LMK if you need a tester for PW2, PW3 or PW5 resolutions.
Thanks for the offer! I'm kind of busy with uni right now, but I'll let you know once I have something to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Finally...!!
A MADLAD DID IT!

The touchscreen Kindles can now, indeed run Doom...!!
Haha yes, I was suprised that no one had done it before (or at least, I haven't found anything, if someone already did it)
Old 06-16-2024, 05:00 AM   #6
SWEETFA
SWEETFA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen (KT3) and Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Nice.

Would be great to have I D Q and K F A and C L P buttons added so that the cheats could be used.
IDDQD
IDCLIP
IDKFA

Certainly IDDQD would help!
SWEETFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:30 AM   #7
SWEETFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETFA View Post
Nice.

Would be great to have I D Q and K F A and C L P buttons added so that the cheats could be used.
IDDQD
IDCLIP
IDKFA

Come to think of it strafe and change weapon would be good too, I’ll see if I can understand the source code and add a few more buttons myself.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:43 AM   #8
H644b
H644b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Pw support

Could you please work on making it available for the pw4 and 5? I am really looking forward to the development of this and it would be awesome to play it on my kindle. Its been more than a full whole year.
H644b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:55 AM   #9
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Somewhere, Carmack is smiling.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 01:23 PM   #10
SWEETFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by H644b View Post
Could you please work on making it available for the pw4 and 5? I am really looking forward to the development of this and it would be awesome to play it on my kindle. Its been more than a full whole year.
I won't be but someone else is looking into it according to this:
https://github.com/HimbeersaftLP/kin...-doom/issues/1
Old 06-18-2024, 02:28 PM   #11
Himbeer
eBook unreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETFA View Post
Nice.

IDDQD
IDCLIP
IDKFA

Hi sorry, for the late response, the forum notification landed in my spam folder.
That would of course be possible quite easily, but the UI is pretty cluttered already, I should rewrite it to render bitmaps for the buttons instead of white squares so it can be understood more easily before adding more buttons to it.
OtterDev seems to be working on a Paperwhite port, not sure how far they are with it currently.