Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2024, 08:53 AM   #646
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
@pypeke, what happens if you try to convert an epub marked by the blue star by the Quality Check plugin to another format?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:19 AM   #647
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Oh, yes, you are correct. If the DeDRM plugin was installed after the book was added, then the book can be read with calibre's viewer and converted. (The plugin checks for DRM before conversion as well as when you first import.) You won't be able to edit it though.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:29 AM   #648
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Oh, yes, you are correct. If the DeDRM plugin was installed after the book was added, then the book can be read with calibre's viewer and converted. (The plugin checks for DRM before conversion as well as when you first import.) You won't be able to edit it though.
Wow. That's new. And, IMO, a bad move. I'd prefer DRM removal to ONLY happen on import.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 08:17 AM   #649
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even conversion works with DRMed books now? I agree with pdurrant, this makes it very difficult to find out if DRM has been removed from the original files. The Quality Check plugin only works with epubs, so no help with Kindle formats there.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:34 AM   #650
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. That's new. And, IMO, a bad move. I'd prefer DRM removal to ONLY happen on import.
I agree with pdurrant and Sirtel. When did this change happen, i.e., what version DeDRM?

ETA: So what's the best/quickest/easiest way to confirm whether an ebook has no DRM so that it can be copied and moved outside of calibre? For epub, use Quality Check plugin? What about Kindle ebooks?

Last edited by odamizu; 09-02-2024 at 01:54 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 02:48 AM   #651
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It looks like the change happened as a side-effect of allowing drm removal by the command-line ebook-convert:

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...8e403599145fe9
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:58 PM   #652
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I'd also prefer it if the DeDRM plugin only did its thing on import. However, this is only an issue if you didn't have the plugin or it wasn't working when you first imported a book. And it's only really an issue if it still can't be read or converted. In other words, if the DRM can't be unlocked when trying to read or convert. If you really need to check an original file, disable DeDRM and then try opening it with calibre's ebook viewer. Then you can re-enable DeDRM and re-import the book if needed.

Last edited by lkmiller; 09-02-2024 at 01:03 PM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 02:52 PM   #653
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypeke View Post
If I installed the Kindle app 2.4.0 70904, then downloaded my books after I had installed the plugins, how do I know that the DRM was removed?

Once the books are in Calibre, I can see they are listed in a file called "Calibre Library" by author's name. Do I still need to keep the downloads that are in the file labeled My Kindle Content? Thanks.
If a mobi or azw3 is encrypted, KindleUnpack will fail with the message:
Code:
__main__.unpackException: Book is encrypted
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 05:07 PM   #654
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It looks like the change happened as a side-effect of allowing drm removal by the command-line ebook-convert:

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...8e403599145fe9
Wow, I had no idea! This goes back FOUR YEARS! to September 2020!

Quote:
... If you really need to check an original file, disable DeDRM and then try opening it with calibre's ebook viewer. Then you can re-enable DeDRM and re-import the book if needed.
Thanks, I never noticed the enable/disable button. I was thinking I'd have to uninstall/re-install the plugin, which would be a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If a mobi or azw3 is encrypted, KindleUnpack will fail with the message:
Code:
__main__.unpackException: Book is encrypted
I don't even get as far as an error message. When I select KindleUnpack on a Kindle ebook with DRM, I get a little red lock and the option to unpack is grayed out. (I'm quite pleased with this, actually, as it makes for a quick-and-easy test to confirm if DRM was really removed from a Kindle ebook.)
Old 09-02-2024, 08:28 PM   #655
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I think the Count Pages plugin also fails with DRMed books - and it can be run with many books at once, so this should be another way to check for DRM.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:49 AM   #656
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I think the Count Pages plugin also fails with DRMed books - and it can be run with many books at once, so this should be another way to check for DRM.
Interesting. Thank you! This does indeed work to confirm whether or not a book has DRM, and it works on both epub and Kindle ebooks.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #657
sphilip
sphilip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I believe I am using 64bit nougat? But then again the adb backup was too fiddly for me, so I ended up just copying the database file directly with a adb pull. It circumvents the whole backup hoopla and works in Bluestacks, since the adb shell has automatically root access.

The backup method, I believe, depends on the app to cooperate. And if the app doesn't allow backup, root access won't do it with the backup command. In the hires version backup won't work, but I think the database file can still be copied. But it was easier to write the instructions with upgrading the 4.16 version, which has multiple ways to get into calibre.
I'm having the same issues with Bluestacks (I tried installing on two different PCs to make sure there wasn't something device specific) and I attempted to do this, but it appears that Bluestacks blocks access to the data folder even if root is enabled.

Are you able to expand on how you did it?

adb pull /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/databases/map_data_storage.db

Results in a "permission denied" error for me.
sphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #658
sphilip
sphilip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
This reply on reddit from a Bluestacks mod seems to also imply they don't support using the adb backup command (they seem to be trying to promote their own backup app).

I'm not sure if that means they've since broken it, or if that mod is wrong.

Regarding installing 32-bit, that isn't possible with the Bluestacks installer. It will automatically choose the version, if your device is 64-bit, it will install the 64-bit version.

If you try to use the 32-bit offline installer, it simply won't start and tell you to download the other version.
sphilip is offline   Reply With Quote