Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 04:38 PM   #1
Moogwi
Moogwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
backup

Hi,

My Calibre library size like 100 Go (75k of .epub)

but it takes too long to backup:

my config:

Host: Mini IT13
Kernel: 6.9.12-1-liquorix-amd64
CPU: 13th Gen Intel i9-13900H (20) @ 3.001GHz
GPU: Intel Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics]
Memory: 3346MiB / 31858MiB

I'm trying to backup on SSD NTFS
Moogwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Export/Import is meant for data transfer between two computers, not for backup. For backup just copy both the library folder and the configuration folder, and paste them to your backup drive. Going forward, you can make incremental backups (updating only the files that have been changed) via FreeFileSync, using its mirror (one-way) option.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre Export creates a custom Spanned Zip
100G is a huge amount of data to process and compress.

The old way was to manually backup the ENTIRE CONFIGURATION FOLDER and Library folder(s)
Export just keeps all the pieces together. Including multiple Libraries if Calibre is configured that way

Another common way is to use something like FreeFileSync IN MIRROR MODE ONLY
After the initial run, it does an incremental (just the changed pieces)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Given how many posts we've had here complaining about not being able to restore their libraries from the export/import files, I would not use that method for backup.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #5
Moogwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Export/Import is meant for data transfer between two computers, not for backup. For backup just copy both the library folder and the configuration folder, and paste them to your backup drive. Going forward, you can make incremental backups (updating only the files that have been changed) via FreeFileSync, using its mirror (one-way) option.
Thx !
Old Today, 05:28 PM   #6
Moogwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thank you for the tip
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogwi View Post
Hi,

My Calibre library size like 100 Go (75k of .epub)

but it takes too long to backup:

my config:

Host: Mini IT13
Kernel: 6.9.12-1-liquorix-amd64
CPU: 13th Gen Intel i9-13900H (20) @ 3.001GHz
GPU: Intel Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics]
Memory: 3346MiB / 31858MiB

I'm trying to backup on SSD NTFS
Use the program FreeFileSync to sync your backup. The first time It will take the full time to backup. But after that it will only backup what's new or changed since the last sync.

Also, you can delete the export files as you won't need them.

https://freefilesync.org/download.php
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #8
Moogwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use the program FreeFileSync to sync your backup. The first time It will take the full time to backup. But after that it will only backup what's new or changed since the last sync.

Also, you can delete the export files as you won't need them.

https://freefilesync.org/download.php
Thank you ! I appreciate ^^

Tags
backup