Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 08:21 AM   #16
foosion
Addict
foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Probably. For this ebook, my first thought was that someone thought Vellum didn't create complex enough CSS. Oddly, the formatting wasn't that bad, just that the CSS was ridiculously overcomplex.
The one book I've edited with a Vellum CSS was the most ridiculously complex CSS I've ever seen. How anyone thought that was a sensible way to proceed is beyond me. They could have gotten the same appearance with a much simpler CSS.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
The one book I've edited with a Vellum CSS was the most ridiculously complex CSS I've ever seen. How anyone thought that was a sensible way to proceed is beyond me. They could have gotten the same appearance with a much simpler CSS.
For the most part, Vellum is not aimed at those of us who would dig into the internals of the ePub.

Vellum's market is mostly indie authors who write their document in Word or other program generating .docx output and then feed the .docx file into Vellum to generate various flavours of ePub output (ePub2/ePub3, Apple, Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Google, generic) with an option for mobi for local testing on Kindle ereaders/apps. For non-ebook uses, you can generate an print ready output file.

As a group, the authors that I have dealt with are more concerned with generating output that will work without requiring them to know about stylesheets, ebook structure, etc. They do care about not generating masses of complaints.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:44 PM   #18
foosion
Addict
foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, Vellum is not aimed at those of us who would dig into the internals of the ePub.

Vellum's market is mostly indie authors who write their document in Word or other program generating .docx output and then feed the .docx file into Vellum to generate various flavours of ePub output (ePub2/ePub3, Apple, Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Google, generic) with an option for mobi for local testing on Kindle ereaders/apps. For non-ebook uses, you can generate an print ready output file.

As a group, the authors that I have dealt with are more concerned with generating output that will work without requiring them to know about stylesheets, ebook structure, etc. They do care about not generating masses of complaints.
What's a good strategy for dealing with cascading divs, each containing multiple classes, and other such complexity?

Last edited by foosion; Today at 06:46 PM.
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, I have a collection of saved searches in Sigil that clean up most of the cascaded divs. They also remove almost all of the media queries from the media stylesheet since they are not needed for most ePub ebooks and clean up a good chunk of the unneeded bits in the styles stylesheet. I also dump dropcaps in this process and convert the ornamental breaks to a single <p>

The workflow is:
  1. Open the Vellum generated ePub in Sigil.
  2. Run the HTML saved search group to clean up the text files
  3. Run the Automate List 1 (runs a collection of Sigil tools and plugins)
  4. Run the CSS saved search group to clean up unneeded bits from the stylesheets
  5. Reformat the CSS stylesheets to multiple line (builtin Sigil tool)
  6. Run the Afters saved search group. Cleans up some bits and bobs left by the other tools
  7. Replace the code used to display the cover image and add my bits to the stylesheet.
  8. Use TagMechanic to remove blank divs, spans and possibly others.
  9. Run Automate List 2 and if no errors, it's done.
It takes longer to type that out than to actually do it. I played with using Editor Chains to do much the same in calibre's ebook editor but was just easier to use Sigil.

Looking at my saved search names, call me boring.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #20
foosion
Addict

Not a trivial number of changes. If I run into another Vellum monstrosity I may bother you for a copy of your saved searches and automations, if that's not a problem.

Dropcaps should be dropped. I don't mind "* * *" breaks or something equally inoffensive.
Old Today, 09:43 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
For my own adjustment, I have taken some PDFs from Open Library and have converted them to ePubs. Having done this, I've generated my own stylesheet. Considering I'm self taught, I think I've done pretty well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:19 PM   #22
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe we need a "share your e-book cleanup scripts" thread of some kind.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote