Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 06:53 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hmm, are you sure it is a "crash" because typically a real segfault or abort can not be "caught" by Sigil at all, the program just exits immediately with no chance to save?

Was there a specific error message that is provided?

Windows Qt goes have a bug that goes back a long long way where trying to delete or rename a file, causes problems when MD (or some other anti-virus program) has grabbed control of it and is still trying to "analyze" the file and will not allow you to delete, rename, of change it in any way causing an exception that can be caught by Sigil but results in Sigil saying it has to close.

My guess is this is what you are seeing. We try to workaround this by retrying the delete/rename/change after a random interval but this is not always 100% effective, but works most of the time. Qt has had the bug reported but still have not fixed it. Although there have been some recent changes that should make the issue happen less often.

If this ever happens again, please note the very last step you used, and grab a screen shot of any failure dialog.

Thanks!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #32
retiredbiker
Evangelist
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe Qt has an online installer for Linux that can be used to install newer versions, but I have no experience with it.
Thanks. I had a look at it...beyond my current geek limit.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Thanks. I had a look at it...beyond my current geek limit.
I think I can make this pretty easy for you. I went home for lunch and had the latest Sigil beta running on Ubuntu Jammy (using the latest Qt6.7.2) inside of 20 minutes or so. The installation of an alternate Qt version is made easy with a Python module called aqtinstall. From there, it's simply a matter of telling cmake to use the newer Qt6 to build (and run) Sigil.

Give me some time to cobble together some sane instructions.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #34
retiredbiker
Evangelist
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think I can make this pretty easy for you. I went home for lunch and had the latest Sigil beta running on Ubuntu Jammy (using the latest Qt6.7.2) inside of 20 minutes or so. The installation of an alternate Qt version is made easy with a Python module called aqtinstall. From there, it's simply a matter of telling cmake to use the newer Qt6 to build (and run) Sigil.

Give me some time to cobble together some sane instructions.
That would be great, thanks!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You should have everything you need already but the Python module aqtinstall. This module uses the same Qt repositories that the official Qt online installer uses, so there's nothing squirrelly going on.

Install the module from PyPi with:
Code:
sudo pip install aqtinstall
I prefer sudo because you don't have to mess with adding your home bin directory to your path to use the executable scripts.

Then run:
Code:
sudo aqt install-qt --outputdir /opt/qt6 linux desktop 6.7.2 -m qtimageformats qtshadertools qtwebengine qtpdf qtwebchannel qtpositioning
This will install the Qt6.7.2 pieces that Sigil needs to /opt/qt6. Change it if you like, but you will have to modify the next command if you do. In an empty build directory run:
Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/qt6/6.7.2/gcc_64 <path to Sigil source>
Obviously change <path to Sigil source> to wherever you unzipped the Sigil source code.

If everything completes successfully, you should be able to run:
Code:
make
followed by:
Code:
sudo make install
Let me know how you get on. We can move this to its own thread if it becomes more involved.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 06:19 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:44 PM   #36
mrprobert
Enthusiast
mrprobert began at the beginning.

Device: None
There was no dump, Sigil just quits silently. The part about renaming rings a bell though. I will make note next time but its fairly rare.

-- Mark
mrprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprobert View Post
There was no dump, Sigil just quits silently. The part about renaming rings a bell though. I will make note next time but its fairly rare.

-- Mark
I know but I really hate segfaults! Sigil should never segfault.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote