Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #1
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra Colour & Kindle Oasis
Please help me mod my new Libra Colour

I've seen lots of info about NickelMenu, KoboPatch, KOreader, etc., but it's all a bit much to take in. Can anyone point me to a straightforward method to make the following two mods? I want both page turn buttons to advance and I would like the option for screensavers instead of book covers.
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For both buttons forward, look at the Kobopatch thread. The latest formal release was: Instructions for patching firmware 4.38.21908. Download and unzip that version into a directory on your computer. Download and copy the kobo-update-4.40.23081.zip file to the src directory. Then change the version references in the kobopatch.yaml to:
Code:
version: kobo-update-4.40.23081
in: src/kobo-update-4.40.23081.zip

Locate the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml file in the src directory and change the no at the end of the Both page turn buttons go next: no line to yes.

Run kobopatch.bat and if all was done correctly, you will have a KoboRoot.tgz file in the out directory that can be copied to your LC's .kobo directory.

As for the screensaver, create a directory called screensaver (case sensitive) in the .kobo directory and copy the images you want to use as your screensaver into that directory. In Settings => Energy saving and privacy, make sure Show current read: and Show book covers full screen: are checked. I haven't bothered with changing the resolution between my Sage and Libra Colour but in theory, 1264x1680 would be best for B&W images while 632x840 would be best for colour images on the Libra Colour.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #3
911jason
Zealot

Thank you so much!!
Old Today, 12:24 AM   #4
911jason
Zealot

Both worked great, thank you again for taking the time to write out the steps for me!

Now that I've done all that, can I still install NickelMenu? I saw a video where someone had an option in there to toggle screensaver or book cover.
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Yes, you can install NickelMenu. I've attached a text file to this message to be copied to the nm directory on your Kobo after NickelMenu is installed (.adds/nm). Once NickelMenu is installed and before you toggle the screensaver, on your Kobo's exposed storage, open the Kobo directory inside the .kobo directory. You will see a file called Kobo eReader.conf. Open that file with a text editor and look for the [Feature Settings] header. If you find that header, insert the ExcludeSyncFolders line under it, otherwise add both lines below.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)|(screensaver_old)
Attached Files
File Type: txt NM.txt (3.4 KB, 5 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote