Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2024, 04:24 PM   #2161
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So having an option for disabling the touchscreen and only using the buttons seems like a nice solution.
If you accidentally get soapy water into the Libra 2, that voids any warranty since soapy water does not qualify as plain water. The idea is that if your ereader accidentally gets wet, it is not automatically toast.

Not to mention that it might be better to have your shower and then have a soak in the bathtub in terms of the amount of water you are going to use though that will depend on the showerhead's volume limiter if any.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 07:07 PM   #2162
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you accidentally get soapy water into the Libra 2, that voids any warranty since soapy water does not qualify as plain water. The idea is that if your ereader accidentally gets wet, it is not automatically toast.
From the Kobo website quote, if I wanted to read in the shower, I wouldn't be to concerned about the warranty. The OP did say that it is useless currently.
Quote:
Not to mention that it might be better to have your shower and then have a soak in the bathtub in terms of the amount of water you are going to use though that will depend on the showerhead's volume limiter if any.
Seems rather irrelevant, IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 09:01 PM   #2163
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemarble View Post
otherwise the waterproof is useless to me!!! screen twitches when the water splashes on it, totally can't read!!!
i bought libra2 just because i imagine i could shower while read.
please, i really love my libra2 but this is the reason why i still use my kindle!!!
Quote:
From the Kobo website quote, if I wanted to read in the shower, I wouldn't be to concerned about the warranty. The OP did say that it is useless currently.
The OP complained that they could not disable the touch screen. I pointed out that the Kobo swipe only option is exactly what the Kindle disable touchscreen does. As for the Kobo website quote, only if you consider water with soap or shampoo in it as being clean water, not to mention that that specification covers temperatures between 15° and 35° C. (60° to 95°F) so your bath/shower is liable to exceed those limits.

Quote:
Seems rather irrelevant, IMO.
You may consider reading while having a shower to be a convenient use of your time. I consider it a good way to get soapy water into your ereader and to waste water. And given the coverage given to water shortages these days, encouraging water waste is not a good idea.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #2164
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The OP complained that they could not disable the touch screen. I pointed out that the Kobo swipe only option is exactly what the Kindle disable touchscreen does.
Not quite? Doing a google, apparently the Kindle disables all other touch behaviour: menus, highlighting, .... This, to me, means that the Kobo swipe only vs Kindle disable are not exactly the same, and IMO are really fundamentally different.

Quote:
... You may consider reading while having a shower to be a convenient use of your time. I consider it a good way to get soapy water into your ereader and to waste water. And given the coverage given to water shortages these days, encouraging water waste is not a good idea.
I would consider a good way to get soap in an ereader would be to submerse it in soapy water, and an unlikely way would be from a shower. If I was worried about getting soap in the reader while taking a shower, I just wouldn't touch/swipe while my hands were soapy, and run it under clean water when done with my shower. You just need to think outside the box to solve these sort of issues.

As far as conservation of water. I'm surprised you didn't mention getting a better limiter, turn down the water pressure, use a rain barrel and take a shower using rain water, ...
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #2165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just have a quick shower, get out, dry yourself, get dressed, and go find a place to read. Hot water could also void the warranty.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #2166
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Not quite? Doing a google, apparently the Kindle disables all other touch behaviour: menus, highlighting, .... This, to me, means that the Kobo swipe only vs Kindle disable are not exactly the same, and IMO are really fundamentally different.
And the difference in behaviour while reading? I was under the impression that the OP wanted to read in the shower.

Quote:
I would consider a good way to get soap in an ereader would be to submerse it in soapy water, and an unlikely way would be from a shower. If I was worried about getting soap in the reader while taking a shower, I just wouldn't touch/swipe while my hands were soapy, and run it under clean water when done with my shower. You just need to think outside the box to solve these sort of issues.
Could you explain how you manage to take a shower without having water splashing the walls? What type of holder are you planning on using for your ereader that could protect it from those splashes? And how are you planning on rinsing the soapy water out of the interior of the ereader? Remember that other than the Kobo Aura H2O, ereaders are not physically sealed but use a conformal coating so water can and will enter the interior of the ereader with ease.

Quote:
As far as conservation of water. I'm surprised you didn't mention getting a better limiter, turn down the water pressure, use a rain barrel and take a shower using rain water, ...
Around here, the water pressure entering the building is under the control of the city. Our shower heads are low flow models. The complex does collect rain water and uses it for watering the greenery and other tasks where dirty water is acceptable. To quote the CDC on rainwater:

Quote:
Germs and other contaminants are found in rainwater.

To lower your risk of getting sick, consider using rainwater only for uses such as watering plants that you don’t eat or washing items that are not used for cooking or eating. Avoid using rainwater for drinking, cooking, brushing your teeth, or rinsing or watering plants that you intend to eat. Instead, use municipal tap water if it is available, or purchase bottled water for these purposes.
For the full item, see Rainwater Collection on the CDC website.
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #2167
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And the difference in behaviour while reading? I was under the impression that the OP wanted to read in the shower.
Yes, in the shower. I would guess that if the OP gets "screen twitches when the water splashes on it", they would get twitches from menu and highlighting.
Quote:
Could you explain how you manage to take a shower without having water splashing the walls?
Apparently, water isn't the problem.
Quote:
What type of holder are you planning on using for your ereader that could protect it from those splashes?
I don't plan on using it in the shower. But I would probably use have it on the back wall. If the touchscreen was totally disabled, you could even put it in a baggie and use the buttons.
Quote:
And how are you planning on rinsing the soapy water out of the interior of the ereader? Remember that other than the Kobo Aura H2O, ereaders are not physically sealed but use a conformal coating so water can and will enter the interior of the ereader with ease.
I believe the Kindle has a procedure for salt water, so I would use that.

Since the IPX8 water rating is up to one hour fully submerged, I'm not too concerned about splashes of soapy water. And according to the IPX8 rating, if I'm reading it right:

Quote:
Protected against strong jets of water, e.g. on ships deck, limited ingress permitted.

Quote:
Around here, the water pressure entering the building is under the control of the city. Our shower heads are low flow models.
There are these things called faucet handles; use those to limit the water pressure. And install a lower flow model head. Even turn off the water while soaping up.
Quote:
The complex does collect rain water and uses it for watering the greenery and other tasks where dirty water is acceptable. To quote the CDC on rainwater:

For the full item, see Rainwater Collection on the CDC website.
Pick your poison: try and conserve more water, or don't.

Personally, I go out in the rain with no ill effects.

Last edited by John F; Yesterday at 03:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #2168
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I enabled swipe only, and got mixed results with water drops on the screen. One time I got a highlight, and swiping to turn the page was unreliable.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #2169
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Since the IPX8 water rating is up to one hour fully submerged, I'm not too concerned about splashes of soapy water. And according to the IPX8 rating, if I'm reading it right:

Quote:
Protected against strong jets of water, e.g. on ships deck, limited ingress permitted.
You might want to revisit the standards definitions since what you quoted has nothing to do with IPX7 or IPX8 ratings. 5 is protected against jets of water, 6 is protected against powerful water jets, 7 is protected against temporary immersion at depths of 1 meter, for 30 minutes and 8 is protected against immersion for long periods of time in over 1 meter of water (the manufacturer will specify the time and depth limits). You may want to check the Wikipedia entry on the IP codes or the IEC article IP ratings .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-18 142450.png
Views:	14
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	210265  
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #2170
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
If it takes too long to shower without reading maybe showering is taking too long and needs to be rethought. Sit on the toilet for all toilet activity and read then. Far less chance of drowning the Ereader too.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #2171
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Avoid using rainwater for...watering plants that you intend to eat.
I'm supposed to keep the (possibility contaminated from falling through the air) rain off my veggie patch???

Anyway the OP must be a speed reader or way better at multi-tasking than me to get a worthwhile amount of reading done while showering.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #2172
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
I'm supposed to keep the (possibility contaminated from falling through the air) rain off my veggie patch???
Depends on the area you are in which affects what contaminants are in the rain before it lands—you have read about acid rain for instance? After it lands, if you happen to collect rainwater in a cistern from runoff from your roof, you might want to consider what is on your roof such as bird and animal feces.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo