Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-25-2024, 03:53 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My personal choice is a full backup on Monday morning kicking off at 01:00 (1am) with incremental backups at the same time Tuesday to Sunday. Those backups are stored on multiple devices and locations.

And don't forget to test your backup by restoring a file on a regular basis.

I know I am paranoid, I just don't know if I am paranoid enough.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #17
pypeke
Connoisseur
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by

As to the OP; have your tried running [B
TAR[/B] on your library directory?
What is TAR?
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #18
pypeke
Connoisseur
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

And don't forget to test your backup by restoring a file on a regular basis.

I tested my backup 2 days ago, and I wound up with duplicate docs, photos, etc. Obviously I did not know what I was doing. It took me hours to delete all those duplicates. So, how do I test the backup the correct way?
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypeke View Post
I tested my backup 2 days ago, and I wound up with duplicate docs, photos, etc. Obviously I did not know what I was doing. It took me hours to delete all those duplicates. So, how do I test the backup the correct way?
By restoring a single file to a different location from the one where you backed it up from.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What is TAR?
It's the archive utility found on unix and linux, abbreviation of Tape ARchive - that's magnetic tape, not paper tape.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
What is TAR?

T
ape ARchive. A Unix/Linux tool for created archived and compressed files. You can guess how long it's been around from the name. See a TAR manual page for more information.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is also now available in W10 up via the command line. <who da knew >

it is found at
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\tar.exe
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #23
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is also now available in W10 up via the command line. <who da knew >

it is found at
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\tar.exe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...01&postcount=3

That's what I use to back up the config folder! The version disclaimer in my post was added because I found then that tar.exe wasn't available on earlier Windows versions.

For metadata backups I have a slightly different script that runs 7-zip on high compression level setting. And for libraries, I prefer FreeFileSync.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
For metadata backups I have a slightly different script that runs 7-zip on high compression level setting.
Personally, I prefer RAR for my backup archives - 7z does have solid archives (better compression), but I also like to have the recovery records and NTFS attributes.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just back up entire folders as they are, without compressing them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup