Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2024, 03:36 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The only thing that puts me into a slump usually are odd sorts of stress. Not quite depression but unexplained ennui. Right now is explainable - I have two very sick cats, but back in February, I struggled and there was no particular reason present. I find a couple days of marathoning something on BritBox or Netflix to usually get me over it.
My deepest sympathies with you for your kitties. I hope they'll recover (if it's something one can recover from).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:09 PM   #17
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find that my reading speed depends a lot on content. I tend to be very slow with writers that put a lot of thought into each word. Shakespeare, Waugh, Flaubert, and even Tolkien, on the other hand, I can breeze through pulp and detective fiction that I love to unwind to.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:08 AM   #18
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My reading speed is nowhere near ‘books per week’. I still work full time so I get to read a chapter or two in the morning, then after work. In the evening I usually watch something on TV or a movie with my wife. I do long sessions on the weekend, except when golf, shopping, or work around the house gets in the way. So I’m more of the 2-3 books a month category, except for like now I’m in a trilogy omnibus edition which I count as one book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #19
OorieChai
OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!OorieChai rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
I'd say that reading (speed and quantity), like anything else in nature, is not uniform.

Sometimes reading is broken by bouts of thinking (I like to pause after books I particularly like and want to remember well - maybe start re-reading, maybe just muse, but definitely not start a new book until at least next day/week).

Sometimes one is just not in the mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
except for like now I’m in a trilogy omnibus edition which I count as one book.
What book is that?
OorieChai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:35 AM   #20
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Clara
I finished the book I was on during my slowdown, and another and I'm well into another. I think my slump is over.-) The tips here like bingeing TV, taking a break, etc, are all pertinent.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:23 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm not so sure I'd express it as "reading speed" but there are times I read for hours a day and times I don't pick up a book in an week or two. Reading competes with Tv watching, work load, spending time with the wife, kids or grandchild.

I've been out of work for about a month, and just got a stereo put together - which has meant a LOT more reading time. Listening to music on nice speakers, and in surround, while reading is wonderful.

I also happen to be in the middle of a 12 book series that is on Kindle Unlimited. So, I'm pretty much reading a book or 2 a week, not counting audible listens.

My new job starts Monday, so I'm sure my reading amount will reduce a great deal.

Last edited by leebase; 06-14-2024 at 03:37 PM.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:18 PM   #22
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
My new job starts Monday, so I'm sure my reading amount will reduce a great deal.
You won't be finishing that series before you go back, then.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:52 AM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
You won't be finishing that series before you go back, then.
Nope. But it's a good series, I will finish it.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:40 PM   #24
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'm not so sure I'd express it as "reading speed" but there are times I read for hours a day and times I don't pick up a book in an week or two. Reading competes with Tv watching, work load, spending time with the wife, kids or grandchild.

I've been out of work for about a month, and just got a stereo put together - which has meant a LOT more reading time. Listening to music on nice speakers, and in surround, while reading is wonderful.

I also happen to be in the middle of a 12 book series that is on Kindle Unlimited. So, I'm pretty much reading a book or 2 a week, not counting audible listens.

What series? I’m always on the outlook for a new KU series.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:22 AM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
What series? I’m always on the outlook for a new KU series.
Ryan Kaine series by Kerry Donovan. They advertise it "for Jack Reacher fans", and I think most Reacher fans would indeed like this series.