Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM   #121
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Nevermind. I thought I was looking at a new model.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #122
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It’s very odd. I have gotten multiple emails about Kindle books on sale during Prime Days. But no mention of actual Kindles.

It has occurred to me that the current management of Amazon may no longer have the interest in selling a reading device at a loss and making it up in the sale of books when they can just sell the books and let customers read them on phones and tablets.
Is the bolded part still true? Googling, I see a lot of articles from 2011-1012, but nothing recent. The only recent news is about the Amazon devices unit losing money, but that includes a lot of devices (Fire, Echo, rings?, earbuds?, ...)

Amazon pricing seems comparable to Kobo's, so Kobo is also selling at a loss?

Just curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Only the Kindle Kids, Kindle Paperwhite Kids and the Oasis are now available at Amazon UK.

Surely something will be released soon?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #124
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Considering I'm still using the original Oasis, and I've given up hope they're going to release a new one, I'd sure like to think they are going to put out something exciting...
Hollow Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #125
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 16GB
Good thing I bought the 16GB PW5 when I did at the beginning of the year. On the off-chance that there aren't any more Kindles released, then this one will hopefully last me a while. If they don't release a new line, I'll just move to Kobo or Boox when it gives up.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #126
foosion
Evangelist
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only the Kindle Kids, Kindle Paperwhite Kids and the Oasis are now available at Amazon UK.

Surely something will be released soon?
Kindle PW, scribe and kids currently available at Amazon US at a "limited time" price. I don't believe they were available yesterday. The only oasis I see is the international edition, which cannot be shipped to my location (US).
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #127
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Not all the Paperwhite colors are available. It's a very minimal list of things to buy.

It's too bad they never perfected the original Oasis, because I like it quite a bit. Its battery indicator is erratic, and it doesn't always go into full sleep mode when the cover is on, but I still dig its small size and physical buttons.

I find it hard to believe that Amazon is going to stop selling Kindles. I think it's just a waiting game.
Hollow Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On Amazon Canada, they show Scribes as being available. The other Kindle ereaders that show as search results are either Currently unavailable (Paperwhite 5 SE) or Temporarily out of stock (Oasis). No other Kindle ereaders are listed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #129
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
True. Even the new kindles are largely speculation. The only description in the FCC paperwork is “Electronic Display Device” and that could refer to a new Echo Show Alexa device.
Could it also be something like a TV or a computer monitor?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #130
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Not all the Paperwhite colors are available. It's a very minimal list of things to buy.

It's too bad they never perfected the original Oasis, because I like it quite a bit. Its battery indicator is erratic, and it doesn't always go into full sleep mode when the cover is on, but I still dig its small size and physical buttons.

I find it hard to believe that Amazon is going to stop selling Kindles. I think it's just a waiting game.
I agree with your comments on the original Kindle. I wish they created a V 2.0 that addressed the original’s imperfections.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #131
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
It’s possible, however as long as Apple and Google demand their pound of flesh for every book bought via an app on their platform, I’d argue Amazon still has an incentive to offer a device for which they control the distribution.

I do at least half of my reading on a Kindle, but almost never purchase a book with one. Kindles are too slow for exploration beyond the usually not very good Recommendations, don't provide as much metadata about the book, and going through reviews is slower. So it's actually a much better purchasing experience to use a web browser (on any mobile or desktop device) than it ever was with a Kindle or the Kindle app.

Neither the macOS or Windows Kindle app have store (or even Recommendations) built in. In the case of Apple maybe there is some App Store restriction since App Store is the only way to get (the latest version of) it. But I think it is just that is more development work just to feebly duplicate the web browser experience, which the Kindle developers have little to do with.

Last edited by tomsem; Yesterday at 10:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #132
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can use the inverted mode to get dark mode everywhere, but images will also be inverted if you do that.
My Kobo Clara Colour has no such feature. All there is is Dark Mode in Reading Settings. It's not in Settings or with the controls for the front light levels, which is where 'everybody else' (Kindle and PocketBook) has it. And Dark Mode on both does not invert images, just the background and text.

Last edited by tomsem; Yesterday at 10:16 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #133
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My Kobo Clara Colour has no such feature. All there is is Dark Mode in Reading Settings. It's not in Settings or with the controls for the front light levels, which is where 'everybody else' (Kindle and PocketBook) has it. And Dark Mode on both does not invert images, just the background and text.
Inverted Mode can be accessed from Developer Options. To get Developer Options to show, do a search for "devmodeon" on the home screen. There won't be a notification or anything, but if you go to Settings after this, you should see Developer Options under Device Information.

After you've checked Inverted Mode, you must reboot your Kobo.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #134
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Or you can use NickelMenu to implement an Invert & Reboot item.
Code:
menu_item : main  : Invert & Reboot    : nickel_setting : toggle : invert
    chain_success   : power              : reboot
Though personally I'm not fond of invert since it inverts everything from the home screen to images and even the connected and charging screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	8
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	211304   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	211305  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #135
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oh yeah, the inverted images can be tolerable on a monochromatic device, but with colour... oh dear.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote