Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 06:17 AM   #16
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If the PW5 lasts 4x longer than the Libra 2, how many hours can you read per charge?
Reading time:

Number of pages (actually number of screens, and keep in mind that my screens have about 30-35% more text than printed paperback editions):

Calendar view:

So, I've started reading "The Sword of Kaigen" (actually started the book on Kobo where I've read fist 14% of the book / first 64 "pages" / screens) on Kindle with 90% battery at 22nd of July, had 76% battery left when I've finished that book. Then read 539 more screens (702 - 163) and at the moment Kindle is at 52% battery remaining

For contrast: on Libra 2 I've started with 81% battery and read 365 + 63 screens in time span of 11 days (~18 hours reading, total! ) and battery was at 8% remaining.

Last edited by shamanNS; Today at 06:19 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Reading time:

Number of pages (actually number of screens, and keep in mind that my screens have about 30-35% more text than printed paperback editions):

Calendar view:

So, I've started reading "The Sword of Kaigen" (actually started the book on Kobo where I've read fist 14% of the book / first 64 "pages" / screens) on Kindle with 90% battery at 22nd of July, had 76% battery left when I've finished that book. Then read 539 more screens (702 - 163) and at the moment Kindle is at 52% battery remaining

For contrast: on Libra 2 I've started with 81% battery and read 365 + 63 screens in time span of 11 days (~18 hours reading, total! ) and battery was at 8% remaining.
But what results do you get reading with the Kobo software and not KOReader? We already know that KOReader uses more battery then reading ePub or KePub with the system software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #18
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Similarly pathetic and bad battery life. Sure, KOReader uses some x% more battery than stock Kobo reader. Is that 3%, 5% or 10% more I don't really care since even 10%-15% less of already terrible battery life doesn't matter that much to me. It doesn't change the main fact: Libra 2's battery life is not good for an eInk reader. It is good or even great when compared to a mobile phone or a tablet, but horrible when compared to other non-Android BW eInk devices with same or similar screen size.

Just how pathetic: Whenever I use my Kindle PW5 my Libra 2 is always left for days & weeks sleeping on stock homescreen (actually on "My Books" tab since I use "Sideloaded mode"), so exited out of KOReader... and it manages to drain more battery doing nothing than Kindle after reading 700 screens and being used at least 20 out of 35 days since both readers where last charged.

I've done shorter comparisons (like 1 hour of reading) of reading in stock vs KOReader, and compared battery drain in sleep / standby for 24-48h with KOReader opened and no KOReader and concluded that the difference is not that significant (like on stock sleep drain average for 2-3 days was 2.5% per day and with KOReader opened and then suspended it was 3%). In theory while in sleep/ standby there shouldn't be any difference since KOReader process is also suspended with the device.

Last edited by shamanNS; Today at 11:01 AM.
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Libra 2's battery life is not good for an eInk reader. It is good or even great when compared to a mobile phone or a tablet, but horrible when compared to other non-Android BW eInk devices with same or similar screen size.
Have you actually compared it to any eink device with similar screen size BESIDES the PW5?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #20
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
I ran two tests on my Kobo Libra Colour.

On the first one, I had wifi off all the time, brightness from 2% to 25%, sleep mode only.
The battery lasted (from 100% to 10%) for 39.2 hours of reading over 15 days. I don't have the exact screens count, but considering my usual setting and the length of the three books I read over that time, it should be around 3.5 to 4K screens, with tooooooooooooons (and I mean tons) of highlights taken.

On the second one, I had wifi off most of the time, but I turned it on a couple of times to sync new purchases, and I used the pen for maybe 20 minutes total, same brightness levels as for the first test, and sleep mode only. The battery lasted for 29 hours over 27 days (roughly 2.5 to 3K screens and 6 books).

Note-taking with the pen is the single thing that consumes the battery the most on KLC. 1 to 2% is the drainage you usually have if you keep your device in sleep mode for a full day without reading anything.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Similarly pathetic and bad battery life. Sure, KOReader uses some x% more battery than stock Kobo reader. Is that 3%, 5% or 10% more I don't really care since even 10%-15% less of already terrible battery life doesn't matter that much to me. It doesn't change the main fact: Libra 2's battery life is not good for an eInk reader. It is good or even great when compared to a mobile phone or a tablet, but horrible when compared to other non-Android BW eInk devices with same or similar screen size.

Just how pathetic: Whenever I use my Kindle PW5 my Libra 2 is always left for days & weeks sleeping on stock homescreen (actually on "My Books" tab since I use "Sideloaded mode"), so exited out of KOReader... and it manages to drain more battery doing nothing than Kindle after reading 700 screens and being used at least 20 out of 35 days since both readers where last charged.

I've done shorter comparisons (like 1 hour of reading) of reading in stock vs KOReader, and compared battery drain in sleep / standby for 24-48h with KOReader opened and no KOReader and concluded that the difference is not that significant (like on stock sleep drain average for 2-3 days was 2.5% per day and with KOReader opened and then suspended it was 3%). In theory while in sleep/ standby there shouldn't be any difference since KOReader process is also suspended with the device.
That depends how Nickel and KOReader are doing the suspending. Could be different.
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #22
shamanNS
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Have you actually compared it to any eink device with similar screen size BESIDES the PW5?
Not personally, since I don't have any other ~7" reader. I've compared it to 11 year old Kindle PW1 and that is not a fair comparison since it has 6" screen + smaller battery + finally noticeably weakened battery after 11 years of using the device. And even in that comparison Libra 2 battery charge barely lasted longer ( like 4-5 days more) standby/sleep comparison.

Anyways, I fail to see the point of your comment. It doesn't seam to be written in good faith, but with purpose to bait me?

The OP in his/hers commented made a claim and observations that Kobo Clara has a disappointing battery life when compared to Kindle PW5.
I written my response to chime in with my similar observations with Kobo Libra 2 vs PW5. The observation is nof surprising when IIRC Clara belong to the same "not so great" hardware generation / uses same/similar motherboard like Libra 2 and IIRC has had even worse freezing and instability problems?

And I've documented my claims with screenshots. That is all I did and cared to do. I haven't made any general and universal claims in the vain that all Kobos have worse battery life than all Kindle models. Just this particular Kobo model vs this particular Kindle.

And I don't have any benefits from things like how good battery life was on say Kobo Aura H20 or Kobo Whatever, I own a Libra 2 and it's battery is objectively subpar and disappointing... as evident and supported by the OP as one more Kindle owner that had the "pleasure" of owning that now previous / no-longer-latest generation of Kobo models after owning an excellent hardware as Kindle PW5 objectively is.
Some people are content with making that compromise for the sake of other software features and other people are not happy with that.
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyways, I fail to see the point of your comment. It doesn't seam to be written in good faith, but with purpose to bait me.
No. I just wondered at your comment that the Libra 2 battery was poor when compared to other non-Android eink readers. I'm not arguing it's poorer than the PW5, but poorer than other 7'' devices? That remains to be proven, if you haven't done so.

Personally I don't much care; I even put up with my Sage, which lasts only for a few days. Battery life has never been one of my priorities.
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #24
shamanNS
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No. I just wondered at your comment that the Libra 2 battery was poor when compared to other non-Android eink readers. I'm not arguing it's poorer than the PW5, but poorer than other 7'' devices? That remains to be proven, if you haven't done so.
Well... A friend of a friend claims his Kobo Aura One (if that is the name of a model with 7.8" screen?, that IIRC also has smaller battery than Libra 2 ) lasts longer than my Libra 2

And PW5 qualifies as "other non-Android similarly sized reader" and that comparison I've done myself so my statement you're quoting still stands and is correct. Libra 2 battery life is genuinely poor when compared to my other similarly sized reader that just happens to be Kindle PW5... and difference is unexpectedly drastic to a degree that can't be explained just by difference in battery capacity (that is in favour of PW5, nobody disputes that fact).

Last edited by shamanNS; Today at 03:12 PM.
Old Today, 03:22 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well... A friend of a friend claims his Kobo Aura One (if that is the name of a model with 7.8" screen?, that IIRC also has smaller battery than Libra 2 ) lasts longer than my Libra 2

And PW5 qualifies as "other non-Android eInk reader" and that comparison I've done myself so my statement your're quoting still stands and is correct. Libra 2 battery life is genuinely poor when compared to my other similarly sized reader that just happens to be Kindle PW5... and difference is unexpectedly drastic to a degree that can't be explained just by difference in battery capacity (that is in favour of PW5, nobody disputes that fact).
Yes, but by all accounts the PW5 has outstanding battery life, not just average. That's why I asked if you have compared the Libra to any other 7'' models (for example, Pocketbooks).

Anyway, as someone who has never owned an ereader with more than average battery life, I'm well satisfied with my Libra 2. My Kindle Oases, all 3 generations, which were my main ereaders before the Sage and the Libra 2, lasted less than my Libra 2 does. I would never personally consider the PW5, no matter how good the hardware and battery life (no buttons, the symmetrical form factor which I dislike, and the software I dislike even more). Obviously someone who was used to neglecting the charging for weeks with their previous devices might find the Libra 2 battery poor; but I'm used to watching the battery and charging at least once a week. It doesn't bother me.
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
I ran two tests on my Kobo Libra Colour.

On the first one, I had wifi off all the time, brightness from 2% to 25%, sleep mode only.
The battery lasted (from 100% to 10%) for 39.2 hours of reading over 15 days.
That seems more or less consistent with my experience of the Libra 2, as well. I have no complaints.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How good is the power management of the 1.8Ghz AllWinner B300 quad core processor?
Quote:
That depends how Nickel and KOReader are doing the suspending. Could be different.
Perhaps a bit of searching might be in order? See message threads such as Sage battery life. You may also look at the power issues reported for Pocketbook ereaders using Allwinner chipsets (the B288 dual core 1GHz for one).

Perhaps thinking a bit about why the original Elipsa with an Allwinner chipset was replaced very shortly by the Elipsa 2E with a MediaTek chipset will help.

As for the difference in how Nickel and KOReader handle the power management, have you even bothered to do a quick search? Oddly, from multiple messages, it appears that KOReader has a opt-in for the same aggressive standby behaviour as Nickel uses and for much the same reason.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 03:39 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps a bit of searching might be in order? See message threads such as Sage battery life. You may also look at the power issues reported for Pocketbook ereaders using Allwinner chipsets (the B288 dual core 1GHz for one).

Perhaps thinking a bit about why the original Elipsa with an Allwinner chipset was replaced very shortly by the Elipsa 2E with a MediaTek chipset will help.

As for the difference in how Nickel and KOReader handle the power management, have you even bothered to do a quick search? Oddly, from multiple messages, it appears that KOReader has a opt-in for the same aggressive standby behaviour as Nickel uses and for much the same reason.
The Allwinner is the processor in the 8" Tolino Epos 3 with Carta 1200 screen and no color overlay.
Old Today, 06:03 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Allwinner is the processor in the 8" Tolino Epos 3 with Carta 1200 screen and no color overlay.
Gee... The Tolino variant of the Kobo Sage! Who woulda guessed it had the same CPU!

The relevance of that to searching items about Sunxi Allwinner power management issues? Did you also look at the comments about Pocketbook's ereaders with an Allwinner chipset?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote